FreeNAS updated but not active. Boot shows "On Reboot" all the time.

AdrianM

Cadet
Hi.

I have updated FreeNAS from version "11.0-RELEASE" to "11.1-U2", but I can not activate it.
on "System->Boot" tab it shows as active "On Reboot", but when I'm rebooting FreeNAS nothing changes, only the old version is active.

I tried deleting and re-downloading the update several times with no luck.

Do you have any suggestions what can I do to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
When you install the update, the system should automatically reboot and perform the update. How did you 'download' the update?

AdrianM

Cadet
Hi Chris,

it did reboot. I installed it using GUI ("update" tab). The problem is that after reboot it still shows as "On Reboot" and it's not activating.

*name of the update is different because I renamed it.

screenshot_vault_consileon_pl_2018_03_09_08_29_51.png

Redcoat

MVP
I guess I would just reinstall from a fresh 11.1-U2 ISO and reload my saved 11.0 config.

I feel like I've seen someone else have this problem and they fixed it by selecting 11.0 on next boot and restarted when it loaded up they selected 11.1-u2 and rebooted again.

AdrianM

Cadet
I feel like I've seen someone else have this problem and they fixed it by selecting 11.0 on next boot and restarted when it loaded up they selected 11.1-u2 and rebooted again.

Already tried that but after selecting 11.0 and restarting freenas it shows both "now" and "on reboot" on 11.0.

screenshot_vault_consileon_pl_2018_03_12_08_36_35.png

--------------
I guess I would just reinstall from a fresh 11.1-U2 ISO and reload my saved 11.0 config.

I guess that is one way to solve this, but if possible I would like to try fix this problem without reinstalling freenas.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Have you tried deleting the updated boot environment and try running the update process again?

AdrianM

Cadet
Have you tried deleting the updated boot environment and try running the update process again?

Yes, I tried that.

I'm not sure what is causing this but when activating any boot from the list it is just adding "on reboot" to it and actually not activating the update after reboot.

I also realized that when booting after update only the old 11.0 version is showing up on the selection screen.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What media are you booting from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

AdrianM

Cadet
OK I manged to activate the new version.

I had freenas on 2 discs (RAID). I had to remove one of them, reboot the system and new update showed up.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
OK I manged to activate the new version.

I had freenas on 2 discs (RAID). I had to remove one of them, reboot the system and new update showed up.
Were you using a hardware RAID or was FreeNAS handling the mirror?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

adc613

Cadet
I had a similar issue. My server was booting to version 11.5 instead of 12.2. I had 3 boot drives mirrored in FreeNAS. I originally had 2 drives in the pool, but one of the drives was in a degraded state so I threw a 3rd drive into the pool and never removed the degraded drive. To fix my issue I removed the oldest drive, because I suspected that it was in a degraded state. Everything worked once I removed that drive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer