FreeNAS UI not accessible from certain devices

Schneeschuh

Cadet
Hello, I tried to find people with the same issue but it doesn’t seem like a common issue. I can access the web UI from my MacBook (Safari) but when I try to access it from my iPad or iPhone (tried Safari and Chrome) it loads the UI and then I get the message to check if my server is online. I don’t mean an error from my browser I mean a site from the UI. I attached a screenshot of it. It’s strange cause at the same time I can login with my Mac and just use the UI like everything is fine. Everything else also works just fine. I just can’t get no access anymore from my mobile devices which worked last time I tried.
I tried several reboots and my settings also look fine. I don’t think it’s a server settings thing cause I can login with any laptop and it works just fine. I also tried deleting my cookies and website preferences on my devices.
I‘m running FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1
I‘m curious if someone else has experienced a similar issue or maybe even a solution to my problem.

Attachments

• 798EB703-BDB2-49CC-A51F-3779F5A2EFE3.jpeg
    798EB703-BDB2-49CC-A51F-3779F5A2EFE3.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 187

catherineva11e

Dabbler
This worked with my FN 11.3-u4.1 on my iPad air 2 iOS 13.6. (running off of memory so I may have missed something)

I'm assuming you have http->https enabled. Turn it off to see if it works. If it does it has to do with iOS & MacOS security updates and how it treats HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security).
TLDR https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/54306#note-17
I "followed" the steps in the above post. My FN box is not public so I have no issues with using an internal CA.
Create an internal CA (system / certificate authority / add).
  • Key Length minimum 2048
  • Digest algorithm requires SHA-2
  • Lifetime max 825
  • Subject Alternative Names is required (enter your servers DNS)
Export the above certificate.

Create a certificate (system / certificates / add) same requirements as above.
Note: I'm not certain if the requirements are necessary for both the CA and the certificate.

Use the new certificate for the FreeNAS GUI (system / general / gui ssl certificate).
Reboot server.

Import the exported CA from above into iOS. (steps are device dependent).
  • Open the certificate file on your device.
  • Go to (settings / general / profile) and you should see the imported CA. Install it.
  • Go to (settings / general / about / certificate trust settings) and trust the certificate.
Done.

Schneeschuh

Cadet
Thank you! The HTTP->HTTPS redirection was what I was looking for. Over HTTP everything works, but if I use HTTPS with my phone/tablet there's the same error. I find the behaviour strange. I don't understand when its an iOS/iPadOS problem why I get redirected to the check whether your server is switched on and connected page from the server. If it's an iOS problem I'd expect to get an error from my browser. Nevertheless it now works for me and therefore I have to thank you!