SOLVED FreeNAS UI IP and Jail IPs

Inxsible

Guru
I have an issue where the FreeNAS UI seems to be appropriating one of the Jail IPs and then when I try to go to that plugin using the IP address -- it instead redirects me to the FreeNAS UI login page.

My router uses DHCP and I have provided a static IP for the FreeNAS login UI XXXX.5, however the FreeNAS dashboard seems to take a random jail IP (11-15 are my 5 jail IPs) as it's main IP ... and the rest as aliases. How would I avoid this?

1558985932797.png

If I stop all my jails -- then the Dashboard displays the correct XXXX.5 address as it's IP address, but after starting my jails, it goes back to randomly picking one of the jail IPs as the main IP address.

Thanks,

Inxsible

Guru
Well, that seemed easy. Thanks @danb35

However, I can no longer access my jails on their IPs anymore

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
Once I enabled VNET, I have 4 options in my IPv4 Interface combo-box.
  1. igb0
  2. igb1
  3. bridge0
  4. vnet0
My igb0 -- has no connection. With igb1 and bridge0, the jail starts up fine, but I cannot access the jail on the IP specified. However, when stopping the jail I get
Code:
* Stopping radarr
  + Running prestop OK
  + Stopping services OK
  + Tearing down VNET FAILED
  ifconfig: interface vnet0:17 does not exist
  + Removing devfs_ruleset: 8 OK
  + Removing jail process OK
  + Running poststop OK

I also tried selecting vnet0, but this time, the jail didn't even start up because of VNET failure
Code:
* Starting radarr
  + Started OK
  + Configuring VNET FAILED
  route: bad address: none

Stopped radarr due to VNET failure

The only way to access my jails is to remove VNET option on them, but then I get back the original issue mentioned in the 1st post.

silverback

Contributor
I have this issue, my Nextcloud jail installed with the danb35 script is visible in the main console screen as a Freenas IP. When I browse to the address it goes to Nextcloud so I don’t know if it’s a problem.

Inxsible

Guru

Inxsible

Guru
I have this issue, my Nextcloud jail installed with the danb35 script is visible in the main console screen as a Freenas IP. When I browse to the address it goes to Nextcloud so I don’t know if it’s a problem.
I haven't used @danb35 's script for my nextcloud. In fact my nextcloud instance is in an ESXi VM installed in an Archlinux guest.

Would you be able to verify if @danb35 's script installs nextcloud in a sub-directory? How do you go to the nextcloud login page?

https://ip-address/nextcloud ? or do you only type in the IP address like https://ip-address

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would you be able to verify if @danb35 's script installs nextcloud in a sub-directory?
It does not; you'd ordinarily (or at least ideally) get there by https://FQDN. I don't believe the IP address alone is supported as of the migration to using Caddy as the web server.

pschatz100

Guru
To the OP: You have your jails set for a shared IP, so the system is doing what it is set up to do.

To enable VNET on your jail. working through the new GUI:

1) Stop the jail
2) Tick the use VNET box in the jail properties
3) When using VNET, the IPv4 interface should be set to VNET0. Make certain the Address, Netmask, and Default Router are set properly
4) From the Network Properties, check that the interface is set to something like: vnet0:bridge0 or vnet0:bridge1. The exact value will depend on your system.
5) Once everything is set properly, then start the jail.

Inxsible

Guru
To the OP: You have your jails set for a shared IP, so the system is doing what it is set up to do.

To enable VNET on your jail. working through the new GUI:

1) Stop the jail
2) Tick the use VNET box in the jail properties
3) When using VNET, the IPv4 interface should be set to VNET0. Make certain the Address, Netmask, and Default Router are set properly
4) From the Network Properties, check that the interface is set to something like: vnet0:bridge0 or vnet0:bridge1. The exact value will depend on your system.
5) Once everything is set properly, then start the jail.
Thanks, but you probably missed my post where I had tried this already and the jail never even starts up due to VNET failure.

pschatz100

Guru
You ran through all the steps I had suggested to start your jail with VNET? How about providing some screenshots of the jail properties and the jail's network properties. Maybe we will see something that indicates the problem.

This is the jail that you ran the script on? What happens if you create a new jail with VNET enabled?

Inxsible

Guru
You ran through all the steps I had suggested to start your jail with VNET?
Yes.
How about providing some screenshots of the jail properties and the jail's network properties. Maybe we will see something that indicates the problem.
I would provide the screenshots, but now my FreeNAS install has started exhibiting another issue, where the Plugins and Jails page just show up as blank. I have logged in and out multiple times, refreshed the page multiple times etc.,but no dice.
This is the jail that you ran the script on? What happens if you create a new jail with VNET enabled?
Not sure which script you are talking about. I will try this on a new jail once my plugins and jails pages show something.

pschatz100

Guru
I would provide the screenshots, but now my FreeNAS install has started exhibiting another issue, where the Plugins and Jails page just show up as blank. I have logged in and out multiple times, refreshed the page multiple times etc.,but no dice.
I would say it is likely you have other problems with your system and these networking issues are a symptom... The behavior you reported in your first post is just what one would expect when jails are sharing IP's. Can you go to the shell and stop all the jails from the command line?

I see you are booting from a flash drive. Have you tried another flash drive? They do go bad, often when installing a new system or updating FreeNAS. If you save your configuration, you can try installing to a new boot device to see if that helps, then restore your configuration.

Not sure which script you are talking about. I will try this on a new jail once my plugins and jails pages show something.
I read the posts too fast and thought you had used @danb35 script.

Inxsible

Guru
I had to restart the FreeNAS box in order for the Jails & Plugins page to show anything. I selected vnet0 and the property in Network Properties was automatically set to vnet0:bridge0

The jail started up as expected and I edited all my jails and set up the correct Router and it worked. I tried not setting the Default Router property for shits and giggles and then the jail failed to start up. So I guess I was missing the Default Router property all this while.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
Glad you got it working.

zwilcoxen

Cadet

ttslt

Cadet
Hope it is appropriate to hijack this thread.

[QUOTE="pschatz100, post: 533474, member: 38807"
[/QUOTE]

What values do I use here in the Jails Network properties, for a second hardware NIC for a (nextcloud) jail? It is currently vnet0:bridge0

Do I just add the second NIC em1 mac address lower down. The guide is a bit terse hereabouts.

em1 has been set up manually with an IP in the General Network > interface GUI http://freenasnothisrealname.host/ui/network/interfaces, but it is currently returning the FreeNAS GUi login. Do I nuke that? [EDIT: even deleted it em1 IP returns the Freenas GUi login page]

screenshots from http://freenasnothisrealname.host/ui/jails/edit/nextcloud

Basic properties -- nextcloud jail
em1 nextcloud jail.png

Network properties nextcloud jail
jail network properties.png