Freenas > Truenas - known issues with usb stick ?

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

I do run several freenas servers since a while on mirrored zfs usb sticks which runs fine at all - For the umcoming upgrade from Freenas11.3.u5 to Truenas I would like to double check if there are any known issues for that because I think I was reading somewhere that this in not supported anymore ?

Thx and Greets!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
this in not supported anymore ?
It's still "supported" (i.e. it works), but is no longer the "recommended" option where SSD is an available alternative due to the write endurance advantages that SSD has over most USB media... The current version and upcoming TrueNAS version do create a lot of writes on the boot media and this has tended to run people into issues much more quickly in recent years than in the more distant past.
If you can, switch to a small/cheap SSD. (do a little research to avoid the controller/3D NAND issues if doing it in 11.3, but those should hopefully be over in 12)

jenksdrummer

Patron
The current version and upcoming TrueNAS version do create a lot of writes on the boot media and this has tended to run people into issues much more quickly in recent years than in the more distant past.

Such as what?

sretalla