TrueNAS 12U1 issue importing backup

Marjan

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I had one strange situation with TrueNAS 12U1 getting non-responsive after 10-15 minutes.
What was actually going on? First, I had Freenas 11.3U5 installed on USB, SanDisk Ultrafit 32GB USB 3.0. Working fine for about 6-7 months. About 10 days ago I had this alarm from FreeNAS:
Boot pool status is ONLINE: None.

From what I found on internet, this means that my boot drive is dead. Ok, fine, I have configuration backup, couple of days old, no worries.

So, I decided to install TrueNAS 12U1, this time on SSD, why having dead USB after few months, pointless. I installed the system, restored configuration from backup that I had from FreeNAS 11.3U5. All good, no issues at all. After 2 days, TrueNAS was non-responsive, no ping, no SSH, no web interface, and of course all SMB shares are inaccessible. After hardware reset it came back online, for about 10-15 minutes, then again it's dead. Hardware reset, online for about 10-15 minutes.

At this point I just decided to reinstall FreeNAS 113.U5, restore configuration and see what will happen. To my surprise, no issues at all after going back to 11.3U5.
It has been a week since I went back to 11.3U5 with no issues at all.

I am wondering if someone had similar problems that I had? If yes, was it solved somehow?

At this point, I am a little bit afraid to migrate to TrueNAS 12. Maybe doing upgrade from console is good way to go, maybe there are some hidden issues with restoring configuration from previous version, maybe just 12U1 restogin config from 11.3U5, maybe 12 will do just fine.

P.S. I forgot, I haven't found anything in logs. Like the OS just hanged and that's it.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
@Marjan. that almost sounds like a crash / panic, but usually it triggers a reboot in that event. If you do upgrade it to 12.0 again, could you generate a debug file so we can see what kind of hardware or other clues may present themselves? Please open a ticket on jira.ixsystems.com so we can investigate.

Marjan

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply Kris.
First just to be clear, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post, I never did upgrade from 11.3U5 to 12U1. Just new install of 12U1 and then restore configuration that was backed up on 11.3U5.
There was no crash/panic, system was non-responsive, even the console. And there was no message on console.

Weekend is here (finally) so I'll have some time for this. I see two options how to do this:
1. Upgrade from web GUI existing system to 12 or 12U1
2. Do a clean install of 12 or 12U1
Question is for you which option to choose? Upgrade or clean install and with which version.
Second question I have is, how to create debug file? Since I am rather new in FreeNAS/TrueNAS I have no idea.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Both options should be OK here, upgrade is usually preferred if you can do it :)

As for Debug, go to System -> Advanced -> Generate Debug, and it'll save a file for us to look at on the ticket.

Marjan

Dabbler
Same issue. Version 11.3 U5 working fine for about a week, upgraded it to 12 U1 , after about 24H system is frozen. Only way to get it back is pusing reset button. I opened a ticket with debug file attached.