Freenas 11.3.u5 > Truenas - notes, issues

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

yesterday I upgraded one of a bunch of servers to Truenas so for so good.....

1. nfs server
I do get a log of the following errors but the exports seem to work:
mountd 1702 - - can't open /etc/zfs/exports
and nfsd: can't register svc name

2. Replication issues from Freenas 11.3.u5 to Truenas:
Replication "my data" failed: None
failed to create mountpoint: Read-only file system..

Best & Greets

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Replication issues from Freenas 11.3.u5 to Truenas:
Replication "my data" failed: None
failed to create mountpoint: Read-only file system..
I can confirm an experience of that issue. After I had upgraded my backup machine to 12-Release, a long-functioning push replication from my 11.3-u5 main FreeNAS box failed repeatedly - only the top level of the recursive snapshots was sent to the target, all child layers were refused - "failed to create mountpoint: Read-onl;y file system" as the OP.

I rebooted the target machine back to 11.3-U5 - replication functioned as expected. Rebooted target back to 12 Release, replication again failed with same error. Examined permissions on target snapshot folder. Could not identify any issue, and could not, anyway, modify the permissions as a trial.

Decided to upgrade main box to 12-Release - replication task then completed without the error. I have left both machines on 12-Release and did not pursue the issue further.

Last edited:

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Same idea here, to update the main (production) box also to 12 but I do not get a timeslot for this task soon because my customers users are working all the time ;-(
I'm thinking to change the dest. dataset to not read only, Is there aynthing wrong about this idea ?

Btw. I fixed the nfs issue, permission issue fix.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Update: I manually set the destination dataset (truenas) of the replication task which comes from a 11.3.x box to read only no.
Since that it ran 2 times whitout any error.

Regarding the nfs issue, the error is back, I don't know, maybe cosmetic, because the nfs service works, I also tried to set it to quiet whitout success.
I do get a lot of theses error messages but the path does not exist:
can't open /etc/zfs/exports

Heracles

Wizard
Hey guys,

I will join you in that club... Just upgraded my offline server Thanatos to TrueNAS 12.0-U1 while Atlas is still FreeNAS 11.3-U5. Atlas can not replicate to Thanatos anymore and complains about the readonly target.

Did you find any other solution than upgrading the source to TrueNAS as well ?

Thanks for your input,

Redcoat

MVP
I did not persue another solution. Actually after my report I did revert both boxes back to 11.3 until 12.0-Release had been out for maybe s month and then updated both again.

Heracles

Wizard
Thanks for the reply. So FYI, I managed to get the replication back on track by switching it to a PULL instead of a PUSH. I went on Thanatos, configured the PULL there and it worked. It fetched only the few missed snapshots from Atlas. Now that I have a working solution for syncing between FreeNAS 11.3 U5 and TrueNAS 12.0 U1, I am comfortable enough to move Atlas to TrueNAS as well. I will also do Hades quickly, as soon as I confirmed that the PUSH replications tasks are back between Atlas and Thanatos.