FreeNAS Time Machine wrong file sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Rogalla

Dabbler
Hello we have a FreeNAS 7tb storage device running afp time machine backups for our users. Or at least that is our intention, I have issues Kathy M. 1tb of storage space for her time machine backups to the FreeNAS. I have then pointed her macbook to the FreeNAS volume. She has 600gb of used of 1tb of data on her local machine. when attempting to backup to the volume i receive "there isnt enough disk space on the volume for the backup" . Clearly she has enough space any suggestions?

For User #2 I have attempted to move a 688gb file simply by dragging it and dropping it to the User #2's FreeNAS volume (750gb) and again I get the same error of "there isnt enough free disk space to complete the operation"

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen Rogalla

Dabbler
When setting up the TM shares, did you use the instructions in http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/sharing.html#creating-authenticated-and-time-machine-shares? If so, what size quota did you use for each user?

Also, what is the FreeNAS build version (from System -> Information)?

Yes the TM shares were setup based upon this document http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/sharing.html#creating-authenticated-and-time-machine-shares? Yes quotas have been setup for each user which varies upon the size of their local disk. For the examples given above Kathy M has a local disk of 1tb and a Freenas/TM volume quota of 1tb. She has only used around 600gb of her local disk. Our freenas build is 9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b)

I have attached screen shots as well

Attachments

• time machine 2.PNG
    time machine 2.PNG
    55.8 KB · Views: 477
  • time machine 2.PNG
    time machine 2.PNG
    55.8 KB · Views: 473

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Which datasets are you having trouble with?

Have you triple-checked the mapping of shares to datasets?

Stephen Rogalla

Dabbler
So far I am having an issue with the 3rd line item dataset that shows 999gb available . Attached are the permissions set to for that volume and user. I haven't fully rolled out the project just yet due to the issues that i have been having. So far i have migrated the time machine backup sparse bundle images from the apple time capsule to the freenas time capsules. I have only pointed two users to the new freenas volumes via afp://freenasipaddress which then asks for authentication and the freenas volume then mounts and can be selected as a time machine backup location.

Attachments

• freenas permissions.PNG
    freenas permissions.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 467

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Are you 100% sure the share this user is using is sharing the correct dataset?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
You said you tried copying a large file to the 750GB volume (which one is it in the screenshot?), but if I'm following, you previously moved a Time Machine disk image there, presumably occupying a significant fraction of the space. So, you would have to mount the destination Time Machine disk image in order to copy a 688GB file into it.
100% sure that it is the correct dataset as when she mounts the dataset
Screenshots of share settings, please.

She (her Time Machine process) should be mounting the disk image, not the dataset. The dataset is full of disk image.
i have migrated the time machine backup sparse bundle images from the apple time capsule to the freenas time capsules
How did you do this?

Stephen Rogalla

Dabbler
You said you tried copying a large file to the 750GB volume (which one is it in the screenshot?), but if I'm following, you previously moved a Time Machine disk image there, presumably occupying a significant fraction of the space. So, you would have to mount the destination Time Machine disk image in order to copy a 688GB file into it.

Screenshots of share settings, please.

FreeNas sharing screen attached

She (her Time Machine process) should be mounting the disk image, not the dataset. The dataset is full of disk image.
sorry i may have confused the volume and dataset lingo here

How did you do this?

On our apple server i opened up the apple time capsule and navigated to the her backup image. in a seperate window i went to finder>connect to server> afp://freenastimecapsule ip address and connected to user #2's volume. i then dragged her apple time machine backup image to the freenas volume.

Attachments

• freenas sharing.PNG
    freenas sharing.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 443

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I wonder whether that leaves out any important hidden files.

My best guess is that the TM error you posted in #4 is the result of attempting to backup 685.60GB to one of the two volumes that has 512GiB available, since 512GiB is uncannily close to 548.95GB.

Stephen Rogalla

Dabbler
any suggestions on what the next course of action could be to move forward? I dont understand why in the console the end users quota is 1tb while when attempting to backup to that volume only leads to 548.95gb in disk space available for the user to backup to.

Status
Not open for further replies.