FreeNAS - should I?

muchgooder

Dabbler
I am a software developer / geek that is looking for a bit of advice on which direction I should go in. I currently have 3 zyxel storage units (2 drives each) and a sff pc that serves as my windows server (it serves various utilities - weather station software, sql for kodi, sabnzbd services, etc). It's by no means a high-usage environment. The vast majority of the drives are being used as shares - pictures, home movies, tv shows, movies.

I stumbled across an 8 bay supermicro NAS with 64 gig of ram so I thought I would use that to eliminate the the need for the 3 devices and a pc. I've been reading up on FreeNAS as it involves a lot of areas in which I am a novice. After doing a lot of reading I had a bit of a revelation: is this right for me?

My needs:

- Lots of storage space.
- Speed (at least fast enough to stream 4k movies, which isn't a problem in my current little setup)
- The ability to create VMs. I would especially like the ability to create a windows vm and have it reside on an ssd in the NAS (all other drives are SATA)

What I don't really have a need for is redundancy. Anything that is important (pictures and home movies) are backed up to blu ray.

Sooooooooo - is FreeNAS right for me? Maybe use it without RAID?

Meyers

Patron
The 8-bay sounds like it would work fine. I recommend using ECC memory with FreeNAS (but only if you care about your data). I'd also recommend doing a good long burn-in process using a memory testing app (like memtest86).

Then you could use drives like these (enterprise drives or WD Reds at the very least). Do a burn-in procedure on them as well. Search the forums for this (I think it's a sticky post).

Some Supermicro boards have SATA DOM slots. If yours doesn't, you MIGHT be able to get away with a single small SSD for the OS.

If the board has PCI-E slots you could also throw in a PCI-E m.2 adapter and use an m.2 drive, freeing up a bay for another data drive. There are two slot adapters as well. You could mirror two of them for the OS (recommended) or use one OS and one VM if you don't care about redundancy there. Or even better, get two adapters if you have the slots available and use two for OS and two for VM (mirrors).

I'd always recommend mirroring your data drives at the very least. When you lose a drive (and it IS when) do you really want to be spending hours restoring files from Blu-ray?

If you go with four data drives, I would use mirrors (basically a RAID 1+0 setup). If you do 6-8 then RAID-Z2 should work. Use this handy RAID calculator to figure out how much space you'll get with each config. Either way, you should be able to handle 4K streaming (unless you have tons of clients).

By the way, you kind of have to size this stuff out ahead of time. It's not easy to change it later.

If you don't mirror your OS, make sure you back up your FreeNAS config (it's in the GUI) so when the OS drive fails you can reinstall the OS and restore your config. But ask yourself if you really want to be down while you wait for a replacement drive.

As far as the virtualization stuff goes, I don't have a ton of experience with the new bhyve implementation. Google "bhyve windows" and see what kind of experiences people are having with it. My sense of it is that it works but it's probably not as good as a dedicated virtual solution like VMware.

muchgooder

Dabbler
The 8-bay sounds like it would work fine. I recommend using ECC memory with FreeNAS (but only if you care about your data). I'd also recommend doing a good long burn-in process using a memory testing app (like memtest86).

Then you could use drives like these (enterprise drives or WD Reds at the very least). Do a burn-in procedure on them as well. Search the forums for this (I think it's a sticky post).

Some Supermicro boards have SATA DOM slots. If yours doesn't, you MIGHT be able to get away with a single small SSD for the OS.

If the board has PCI-E slots you could also throw in a PCI-E m.2 adapter and use an m.2 drive, freeing up a bay for another data drive. There are two slot adapters as well. You could mirror two of them for the OS (recommended) or use one OS and one VM if you don't care about redundancy there. Or even better, get two adapters if you have the slots available and use two for OS and two for VM (mirrors).

I'd always recommend mirroring your data drives at the very least. When you lose a drive (and it IS when) do you really want to be spending hours restoring files from Blu-ray?

If you go with four data drives, I would use mirrors (basically a RAID 1+0 setup). If you do 6-8 then RAID-Z2 should work. Use this handy RAID calculator to figure out how much space you'll get with each config. Either way, you should be able to handle 4K streaming (unless you have tons of clients).

By the way, you kind of have to size this stuff out ahead of time. It's not easy to change it later.

If you don't mirror your OS, make sure you back up your FreeNAS config (it's in the GUI) so when the OS drive fails you can reinstall the OS and restore your config. But ask yourself if you really want to be down while you wait for a replacement drive.

As far as the virtualization stuff goes, I don't have a ton of experience with the new bhyve implementation. Google "bhyve windows" and see what kind of experiences people are having with it. My sense of it is that it works but it's probably not as good as a dedicated virtual solution like VMware.

Thanks so much for your very detailed response. I think I am all good with the hardware - the server does in fact have ECC memory and I have plenty of drives.

I think your response touched on why I don't want to go down any of those paths. The vast, vast majority of my files are movies and tv shows and nothing I couldn't get again (or more likely just choose not to). I back up pictures and home movies like they are doing out of style - they fit on blu ray no problem.

Is there any reason that I couldn't skip all of the RAIDs and mirrors and simply kind of use it like I am now? In other words, just create individual volumes on the individual drives and create shares, vm's etc without all of the complication?

sretalla