Single pint of failure? (starter PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Chibu

Cadet
Hi. I am new, I do IT, but am looking at FreeNAS for home use.. Pics, music and movies. I have an oldish P4 PC with 4 SATA interfaces. I am going to use 4 3TB WD RED drives in RAID5. Right now I have 4gb of RAM, may go to 8 but after initial data dump don't expect much CPU/RAM use.

My question is, after I get setup and happy... and want to upgrade hardware (not drives), can I attach these 4 drives to a new PC / NAS host? OR -if the PC dies and I have 4 good drives, can I reload them on a new host? I've read through a lot of material and posts and haven't found a clear answer.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well, yes but if you have less than 8gb RAM, you're gonna have a bad time...

And I'm not really sure what you mean by raid 5...FreeNAS doesn't have RAID5

Sent from my Nexus 5

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS isn't for your old P4. It needs 8GB of RAM minimum, ECC RAM highly recommended, and server grade parts.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You should really read the stickies. Otherwise, you will not enjoy the results.

joelmusicman

Patron
Then again, I don't think Windows is suitable for data that you care about either...

I was recently backing up some data to my FreeNAS server, and had some weird permissions issue and couldn't access my music directory on a local Windows hard drive. Tried taking ownership, but that didn't work either. Some Google-fu said check the drive for errors in the Administrative Tools, which I did and it fixed the "errors." Browsed to the folder again. This time, I accessed it just fine, but now it's empty instead of about 70GB of music that should be there. I think I already backed it up, but it was definitely eye-opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.