FreeNAS server with non server motherboard ?

Suwarna

Dabbler
HI All,

after play with FreeNAS installed in my old computer, i come across to think make new build for FreeNAS. my usage will be store y my music files (mostly DSDs), some movies, bunch of family photos and video, plex or emby.

for casing, i would like to have small case, so perhaps something like node 304 (mini ITX?)
for motherboard, there is no vendor of supermicro here, so thinking if there any consumer motherboard having INTEL NIC and 6 sata ?
as i only use for personal, thinking of WD Blue, is it ok ?
power supply will be Seasonic (my old computer since 2009 use this brand and still working till now :))
will it enough with 8GB Ram or 16GB RAM will be worth to consider ?

thanks for all input and stay safe !!

Brgds,
Suwarna

for casing, i would like to have small case, so perhaps something like node 304 (mini ITX?)
This is a popular mini ITX case. :)

Can you find used Supermicro or ASRock Rack? Server boards have IPMI, ECC memory, etc.

as i only use for personal, thinking of WD Blue, is it ok ?
Most drives will work okay for a home use. Avoid SMR drives (search the forums for more information). I suggest 5400rpm or 5900rpm drives. They have lower temperatures than 7200rpm drives.

will it enough with 8GB Ram or 16GB RAM will be worth to consider ?
8GB is minimum. I recommend the minimum you go with is 1 stick of the largest DIMM supported by your motherboard. For example, if your motherboard supports 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB DIMMS, I suggest you buy 1x16GB DIMM as a minimum. It makes it easier to expand in the future.

Inxsible

Guru
This is a popular mini ITX case.
It is and I have it, but I would recommend going with at least a mATX board and case. It allows more in terms of expansion in the future. mini-ITX is quite limited.

Node304 is also a pain for cable management. Check out Node804 which is not much bigger than Node304 in terms of footprint.

Suwarna

Dabbler

Can you find used Supermicro or ASRock Rack? Server boards have IPMI, ECC memory, etc.

Most drives will work okay for a home use. Avoid SMR drives (search the forums for more information). I suggest 5400rpm or 5900rpm drives. They have lower temperatures than 7200rpm drives.

8GB is minimum. I recommend the minimum you go with is 1 stick of the largest DIMM supported by your motherboard. For example, if your motherboard supports 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB DIMMS, I suggest you buy 1x16GB DIMM as a minimum. It makes it easier to expand in the future.

Thanks !! very informative !
the only handicap here is i cannot find both new or used of Supermicro or ASSrock Rack :( only consumer / gaming motherboard are popular here. to buy from overseas also really hassle with new tax implementation by Gov :( thats why i looking the closest possible mobo from consumer that i can use for build, any further advise ?

Brgds,
Suwarna

Suwarna

Dabbler
It is and I have it, but I would recommend going with at least a mATX board and case. It allows more in terms of expansion in the future. mini-ITX is quite limited.

Node304 is also a pain for cable management. Check out Node804 which is not much bigger than Node304 in terms of footprint.

thanks. will check node 804 also.

brgds,
suwarna

Suwarna

Dabbler
after some researched, get some on clearance sale for below :

*. SUPERMICRO C7 B250-CB-ML-O
*. SUPERMICRO C7Z270-CG-L-O
*. SUPERMICRO C7H270-CG-ML-O

all below usd 100, which one should i consider ? appreciate all input. thanks !!

Brgsd,
Suwarna

Those are all three more consumer style boards but between them I would go with the C7Z270 because it has more PCIe slots for possible future expansion.

Suwarna

Dabbler
thanks PhiloEpisteme,

today i found used server
HP ML110 G7 Xeon E3-1220
with 16GB RAM ECC
double PSU
2 port Gigabit LAN
SATA 4 port

Will this adequate and have enough power for me using home server and plex plug in ?

or as very difficult to get "server DIY build component" here, should i just go with i5-9400F and B365M chipset ? thanks a lot.

Thank you.

Brgds,
Suwarna

Last edited:

Suwarna

Dabbler
thanks PhiloEpisteme,

today i found used server
HP ML110 G7 Xeon E3-1220
with 16GB RAM ECC
double PSU
2 port Gigabit LAN
SATA 4 port

Will this adequate and have enough power for me using home server and plex plug in ?

or as very difficult to get "server DIY build component" here, should i just go with i5-9400F and B365M chipset ? thanks a lot.

Thank you.

Brgds,
Suwarna

searching continues...

today got eyes on HP Proliant ML310e G8 v2
with 16GB RAM ECC
2 port Gigabit LAN
SATA 4 port with HDD Caddies
Intel Xeon e3-1220v3 3.1Ghz
NO HDD

USD 465

is this enough power for FreeNas and PLEX plug in JAIL ?

thank you.

rgds,
Suwarna

Are you planning to do any transcoding? If so, plex has a good page on how to pick a CPU based on its benchmark.

As a general recommendation; I would suggest you opt for a system you can upgrade if it isn't enough. So if you can add more ram or bump the CPU that gives you some wiggle room; if you the budget for it.

If you don't plan on doing transcoding that server might fit the bill.

Antoshka

Dabbler
Hey,

Maybe this combo (Supermicro X10SLL-F + Xeon E3 1271 v3 + 32G ECC for 269$) will be helpful. In my opinion, it's the most cost/performance optimized option for this CPU generation that I found in ebay. I ordered it a few days ago for my build.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Anton.

Suwarna

Dabbler
Hey,

Maybe this combo (Supermicro X10SLL-F + Xeon E3 1271 v3 + 32G ECC for 269$) will be helpful. In my opinion, it's the most cost/performance optimized option for this CPU generation that I found in ebay. I ordered it a few days ago for my build.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Anton.
thanks Anton. where did you ordered? pls share the links. thx

Suwarna

Dabbler
Are you planning to do any transcoding? If so, plex has a good page on how to pick a CPU based on its benchmark.

As a general recommendation; I would suggest you opt for a system you can upgrade if it isn't enough. So if you can add more ram or bump the CPU that gives you some wiggle room; if you the budget for it.

If you don't plan on doing transcoding that server might fit the bill.
thanks. i plan to have plex/emby on jail. will check on plex website

Suwarna

Dabbler
h
Hey,

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Anton.
hiks. dont hv option to send to my country :(