Basic FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZ_JJ

Dabbler
It's been running a RAM/CPU tests for the past week and I'm just about ready to install the 4 hard drives. For those with a Node 304, what do you think is the best placement of the hard drives for maximum air
flow flow?

There's 3 trays of 2 drives and 2x92mm fans at the front. Would I better off filling up say the 1st and 3rd trays which would leave an empty space in the middle for air flow. Or say fill the 2nd and 3rd trays leaving empty space where tray 1 goes. Fill the tray 2 and have 1 drive in trays 1 and 3.

Or am I overthinking it and it won't make much of a difference? Thanks
2084488-c.jpg

My suggestion is to fill tray 2 and put one in each of tray 1 & 3 on the outside. this way every drive is next to a blank space.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It's been running a RAM/CPU tests for the past week and I'm just about ready to install the 4 hard drives. For those with a Node 304, what do you think is the best placement of the hard drives for maximum air
flow flow?

There's 3 trays of 2 drives and 2x92mm fans at the front. Would I better off filling up say the 1st and 3rd trays which would leave an empty space in the middle for air flow. Or say fill the 2nd and 3rd trays leaving empty space where tray 1 goes. Fill the tray 2 and have 1 drive in trays 1 and 3.

Or am I overthinking it and it won't make much of a difference? Thanks
Best to put six drives in it since there are six bays. Like this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?attachments/img_1288-jpg.19958/

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...node-304-x10sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I just don't need that much storage at the moment. 4 x 4TB in RAIDZ2 is plenty for me, even taking into account what the actual usable figure is.
A system like this should last 5 to 7 years. How much storage will you need then?

Stux

MVP
Gives you space to mount 2 SSDs then. The 2.5" HD mounts are on the same brackets, but fairly certain they have to be on the inside, like 3.5"... although you could probably use a double stacker...

Alternatively, you can get a bracket to mount a 2.5" HD in the second PCI slot bracket (since its unlikely you'll be using a double width PCIe card in a FreeNAS setup.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Gives you space to mount 2 SSDs then. The 2.5" HD mounts are on the same brackets, but fairly certain they have to be on the inside, like 3.5"... although you could probably use a double stacker...

With "double stacker" you mean something like the Corsair CSSD-BRKT2, correct? The attached photo shows two of those in a Node 304 HDD mounting bracket with two 2.5" SSDs (7mm height) mounted in each of the CSSD-BRKT2 next to a Node 304 HDD mounting bracket with two 3.5" WD Red HDDs.

DSC_0007_m.JPG

The CSSD-BRKT2 provides some space between the 2.5" devices for airflow and has threads on the base plate for mounting (as required in the Node 304). Disadvantage: The SATA connectors of the 2.5" devices (power and data) aren't in-line with those of the 3.5" drives so cable routing definitely suffers when compared to Stux' Node 304 build.

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.