X10SDV-4C-TLN2F Build

phatfish

Dabbler
I've updated all Intel NIC drivers to the most recent ones from present FreeBSD stable/10. They should be included into the next nightly build. Please try it.

Great thanks! I had been playing with the 10 Alpha, but since iSCSI support was broken it just ended up with me editing ctld.conf myself. This will certainly make things easier.

A couple of points for anyone interested in the board. As has been mentioned already -- you must have a CPU fan and the Noctua 60mm is perfect since it has rubber mounts that actually work very well as they can be jammed securely in a space where the heat sink mounting screws are. No problems with temp while I was testing, 80% load resulted in about 55c CPU temp.

There is a USB 2.0 header on the board for connecting up additional USB ports, if your case only has a USB 3.0 cable you will need an adapter.

miraculix

Dabbler
I've updated all Intel NIC drivers to the most recent ones from present FreeBSD stable/10. They should be included into the next nightly build. Please try it.

Nice, this instantly freed up the slot for an LSI 2308 and made an 8 to 14 drive setup feasible on this little beast.... thank you (and thanks to Chris for submitting)! Looks good so far...

Code:
ix0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
  description: connected to switch02 (te2/1)
  options=407bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO>
  ether 00:25:90:5d:23:ed
  inet 192.168.2.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
  nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
  media: Ethernet autoselect (10Gbase-T <full-duplex,rxpause,txpause>)
ix1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
  options=407bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO>
  ether 00:25:90:5d:23:ec
  nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
  media: Ethernet autoselect

I just noticed the graphs within reporting aren't working for some reason, but I'll take that in trade right now :D

Code:
Feb  8 20:38:32 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  8 20:38:32 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  8 20:38:43 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  8 20:38:44 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  8 20:39:09 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  8 20:39:09 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  8 20:39:15 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:36:57 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:36:57 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:37:07 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/memory/memory-free.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:37:07 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/swap/swap-free.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:37:56 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:37:56 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:38:00 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:38:00 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:38:15 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:39:11 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/aggregation-cpu-sum/cpu-idle.rrd': No such file or directory
Feb  9 08:39:11 nas02 manage.py: [reporting.rrd:161] Failed to generate graph: ERROR: opening '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/load/load.rrd': No such file or directory

Chris Hubick

Cadet
Yeah, I just noticed my reporting was broken as well.

I also noticed that if I go to switch back from nightly to the stable train, it immediately tries to revert me, which I guess means the updater doesn't comprehend (or care) that the nightly version I'm running is newer than what's on the stable train.

So, I left it on the nightly train and shut off updates, and I guess the only way to keep networking support is to just keep an eye out for when this makes it into a stable release and then switch trains back to stable?

It's just my home NAS, and I have *a* backup, but it's still all my data, and I was already nervous enough while installing the nightly to test this for that bug, so I'd rather not touch anything, and get back onto stable ASAP.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
It seems broken graphs were caused by recent changes done after release. I'll ping the developer who did it, and I suppose it should be fixed soon.

Reverting from nightly to stable should generally work, but there can be complications with database schema changes, that may not always work in opposite direction. Unless there were some important configuration changes, it may be easier just to revert to the latest stable branch boot environment then downgrading via updater.

Chris Hubick

Cadet
Heh, one sentence has managed to totally confuse me... ;-)

There can be irreversible database schema changes within the stable 9.3 branch, and that wouldn't imply a bump to 9.4? I thought I was just getting a few stable series fixes, that, although untested, were relatively minor. What have I gone dun installed :-(

So, is this saying I might have problems if I just switch from the nightly train back to the stable train in the Web GUI and install the updates as prompted? Or will I probably be OK?

Does "revert to the latest stable branch boot environment" mean I should do a fresh install and restore my previous config? Disassembling my computer shelf to get my NAS box physically accessible, unpacking the monitor/keyboard for it, install, config, etc - I'd really rather not go through all that if I don't absolutely have to :-(

What's the best way to know when there's a stable release containing the new drivers? Will it be marked in the bug?

Much Thanks!

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Heh, one sentence has managed to totally confuse me... ;-)

Wait a minute, don't explode just yest. ;)

There can be irreversible database schema changes within the stable 9.3 branch, and that wouldn't imply a bump to 9.4? I thought I was just getting a few stable series fixes, that, although untested, were relatively minor. What have I gone dun installed :-(

So, is this saying I might have problems if I just switch from the nightly train back to the stable train in the Web GUI and install the updates as prompted? Or will I probably be OK?

You will probably be fine. Though sometimes things happen, since backward path may be less tested.

Does "revert to the latest stable branch boot environment" mean I should do a fresh install and restore my previous config? Disassembling my computer shelf to get my NAS box physically accessible, unpacking the monitor/keyboard for it, install, config, etc - I'd really rather not go through all that if I don't absolutely have to :-(

Have you noticed that since 9.3 together with ZFS root we've got support for multiple boot environments? Every time you update your system, the new environment is created. You can activate one you want to boot via the UI or at boot loader menu. You may forget about reinstall unless you totally cook you boot device.

What's the best way to know when there's a stable release containing the new drivers? Will it be marked in the bug?

Bug will be marked as resolved when it happened.

Chris Hubick

Cadet
Ahh, OK, now I get you, thanks!

Since I've swapped my ethernet cable to the 10GB NIC (which was super fun while not being able to see the back of the box) and reassigned the NAS's IP to the new MAC in my router (which required rebooting it and the NAS to take for some reason), if I revert to my old boot snapshot, I'll lose the new NIC support and web access along with it.

So, when I see the bug resolved and the drivers are released into 9.3 stable, I'll attempt to switch back to the stable train through the UI, and if I have problems, I can pull out the monitor, reactivate the old boot environment, and then install the update on that.

Much Thanks! :smile:

seltz

Dabbler
Hey phatfish (and any other owners of this board), do you know what your typical cpu operating temperature is? Did you install a cpu fan?

I'm currently running this in a ss4200 case (slim profile with hard drives on top and two case fans near the board's ports) without a direct cpu fan, and am usually seeing temps at 63-64 degC with minimal load. I've tried digging around the intel site on the D-1520 but haven't found any explicit information as to whether it's risky to operate at this temp.

Here's my readout:
Code:
$ sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
dev.cpu.7.temperature: 64.0C
dev.cpu.6.temperature: 64.0C
dev.cpu.5.temperature: 64.0C
dev.cpu.4.temperature: 64.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 64.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 63.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 63.0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 63.0C

Last edited by a moderator:

diskdiddler

Wizard
How is this board treating everyone?

Now that SuperMicro have confirmed for me that they won't do AMD Epyc 3000 boards (groan!) I'm considering either this board or an 8 core Denverton board.

Which one would be better for transcoding 4k content (only 1 stream max)
I just want room to move CPU wise, is the 4/8 on this good enough?

thewizard

Dabbler
Love to know the same question as the guy above. Anyone still rocking this board for FreeNAS?

seltz

Dabbler
Love to know the same question as the guy above. Anyone still rocking this board for FreeNAS?

No idea on technical strengths of the board or what 4/8 means, but the board works alright for my minimal uses. At the time (2016) I just wanted something that was a bit newer than the Avoton processor the original 2013 Freenas Mini had while still being small. Anecdotally, I think it's worked alright streaming 4k60 hevc footage locally.

As seen in my build log https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/another-x10sdv-4c-tln2f-o-build-log.41676/ you do need to install a fan if you order the board and aren't installing in some rack environment. My main gripe is how noisy it gets when tasking it with something. I have fairly minimal needs, so if I were going to do a build today I'd really sit down and think if I really need it compared to just using cloud services / getting a newer freenas mini.

Edit: from what I can tell, I have no idea if they ever iXsystems ever updated the Second Generation Freenas Mini from 2013 - their datasheet deceptively doesn't list the cpu model.

Last edited: