Home Media/Plex NAS, some basic Home PC backup - Will it FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uther97

Cadet
I've been gathering parts for a Plex/Media Streaming NAS with some basic home PC backup functions and I'm at a crossroads. I'm leaning towards ZFS2 and remember reading somewhere (not sure where now) that it performs better with an even number of drives - Should I go with ZFS2 given the purpose of the NAS? and is it recommended to use an even number of drives?

Also, is 16gb enough for this setup? or should I go for another stick and bump it up to 32gb?

Motherboard - SuperMicro X11SSM-F
CPU - Intel Xeon E31220 V5
Memory - 1x Samsung M391A2k43BB1-CPB 16gb
HD - 5x WD Red 4TB (May go to 6?)
SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 2.5" SSD
PSU - Seasonic SS-750KM3 750W
Case - Rosewill RSV-L400

Thanks ahead of time for any help that can be given.

Uther97

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have a 3.2 GHz quad core with 8 threads and sometimes it has trouble transcoding fast enough. I would suggest a faster CPU.
More drives certainly makes the access a little faster. I use 12 in two vdevs, 6 drives each.
What is the purpose of the SSD?
If you say boot drive, you may as well use the smallest one you can find, size and speed is not useful in the boot drive.

Inxsible

Guru
You could even use a USB or even 2 in a striped mirror as your boot drives.

Uther97

Cadet
Chris Moore said:
I have a 3.2 GHz quad core with 8 threads and sometimes it has trouble transcoding fast enough. I would suggest a faster CPU.
How many encodes are you running at a time? and what resolutions? I've been planning the CPU based on Plex's suggestion of 2k passmark per 1080 transcode. Most of my library is 720, so I was hoping to be ok with the E3 1200 for 1-4 transcodes. I may have mis-calculated....

Chris Moore said:
What is the purpose of the SSD?
If you say boot drive, you may as well use the smallest one you can find, size and speed is not useful in the boot drive.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I had this as an extra that I picked up for a deal, but I'll hold onto it for a future workstation build.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
How many encodes are you running at a time? and what resolutions? I've been planning the CPU based on Plex's suggestion of 2k passmark per 1080 transcode. Most of my library is 720, so I was hoping to be ok with the E3 1200 for 1-4 transcodes. I may have mis-calculated....
It depends on the source file. I am not sure why, but some of the source files I stream to my LG TV's Plex app have to be transcoded a lot because the processor utilization on the Plex server goes to 90% and stays there for the whole show, where other videos will spike initially and settle down to 30% or so. The reason I was saying you might want a CPU with hyperthreading is to give you a little extra headroom to transcode on the fly. Especially if you want to be able to do two at once. A little more capability is not going to make that much difference except that it might make your system behave in a way that you will be happy with. I have been well satisfied with mine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RAIDZ2. Please stop propagating this "ZFS2" nonsense. I really wish I knew who started that one...

Also, is 16gb enough for this setup?
Probably, but you can always add more later if you feel somewhat constrained by RAM.

it recommended to use an even number of drives?
Not really, but the extra drive adds good storage.

That's overkill, you can definitely go with a cheaper SSD.

Also overkill. Can't fault the quality at all, but 750W is too much. The X-650 is a better option. The G-550 has even better sizing for a server like yours, but it's a slight step down in quality.

Stux

MVP
And if you want to step up your CPU the E3-1230v5/6, which adds hyperthreading, so basically, 60% more powerful for plex, is good value.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've been gathering parts for a Plex/Media Streaming NAS with some basic home PC backup functions and I'm at a crossroads. I'm leaning towards ZFS2 and remember reading somewhere (not sure where now) that it performs better with an even number of drives - Should I go with ZFS2 given the purpose of the NAS? and is it recommended to use an even number of drives?

Also, is 16gb enough for this setup? or should I go for another stick and bump it up to 32gb?

Motherboard - SuperMicro X11SSM-F
CPU - Intel Xeon E31220 V5
Memory - 1x Samsung M391A2k43BB1-CPB 16gb
HD - 5x WD Red 4TB (May go to 6?)
SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 2.5" SSD
PSU - Seasonic SS-750KM3 750W
Case - Rosewill RSV-L400

Thanks ahead of time for any help that can be given.

Uther97

For the difference in price, you should go with this case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164
Are you set on having new components?

Status
Not open for further replies.