FreeNAS rebooting every 20-25 minutes

kaipee

Dabbler
I have had a FreeNAS Mini (purchased from iXsystems) running since around 2015. This afternoon (I believe - I did not have email alerts correctly configured for a few months) I started getting notifications like:
freenas had an unscheduled system reboot. The operating system successfully came back online at...

I can't seem to see any reason for this. No details in /var/log/messages ; no real information that I can see in /data/crash
  • FreeNAS : 11.2-U7
  • CPU Load : avg 0.18, max 0.5
  • CPU Temp : avg 32, max 64
  • RAM Free : avg 7.56 (16GB total)
  • Disks : no SMART errors (weekly checks)
I've check the MegaRack BMC logs and I can't identify any issues there - all sensors OK, no real issues that I can determine.
The system just doesn't seem to want to stay up for more than 30 minutes. Any help would be appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/973OLbD

jgreco

Resident Grinch
5 years? Open it up and blow out dust. Then make sure all the fans are operating well.

Note that it is not recommended to use cans of compressed air on a system while it is running or warm. You can get thermal stresses.

kaipee

Dabbler
5 years? Open it up and blow out dust. Then make sure all the fans are operating well.

I perform regular maintenance on the system about every quarter. Dust and airflow isn't an issue.

Yesterday evening the system completely died and will no longer boot up. I'm assuming the C2000 issue as it will boot up to BMC/IPMI but no BIOS output it displayed over VGA or SOL.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I perform regular maintenance on the system about every quarter. Dust and airflow isn't an issue.

Yesterday evening the system completely died and will no longer boot up. I'm assuming the C2000 issue as it will boot up to BMC/IPMI but no BIOS output it displayed over VGA or SOL.

Okay, well I was shooting for the happier/easier fix.

Contact iX. I believe they've been doing board swaps even if you're out of warranty.