Crashing every ~10-20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For the boot disk, one of them did have issues and faulted. I dettached it from the mirror. Unless they both went bad at the same time, that would be strange. Maybe the one going down caused issues with the other? It's cheap to replace those USB drives, I might just go ahead and do that. I'll have to look for recommended drives.
Did you do this?

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
I don't hold out much hope for this, but if you have another power supply, you might change that, just to test if it is the source of any problems. I am leaning toward it being a bad system board.
What kind of temperatures are you getting?
I am honestly kind of thinking this too. I don't have a PSU just sitting around. I'd have to take one out of my other computer. Not exactly convenient.

Edit: And no I haven't replaced the boot drives yet. I was waiting to see if it crashed again. I still plan on doing this though. Much cheaper than replacing a motherboard.

Stux

MVP
That is one of the reasons that Supermicro server boards are so highly recomended on this site. They do logging and you don't even need to go into the BIOS to pull the log. The IPMI web interface allows remote management of almost everything including viewing the log like this:

View attachment 23942

Hey Chris, if that’s from one of your systems, you know there’s a way to fix those errors right?

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
Still in the process of elimination. I changed the boot device to a brand new USB drive and it has stayed up for 18 hours now. It would again surprise me if that was the issue.

I've had a similar problem for many months now, but not as frequently as every 20-30 mins. Another thread suggested (and I think it was actually Chris Moore who did so) that the USB interface could get overloaded, causing strange behavior in the system. I disconnected the USB drive I was using as a replication target and have had only one freeze since that time. This suggests to me that your bad USB drive might have been the culprit. I'm not convinced that my issue is completely resolved yet (I still had that one freeze when the drive was plugged in after all), so I'm interested to see what you find out.

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
I've had a similar problem for many months now, but not as frequently as every 20-30 mins. Another thread suggested (and I think it was actually Chris Moore who did so) that the USB interface could get overloaded, causing strange behavior in the system. I disconnected the USB drive I was using as a replication target and have had only one freeze since that time. This suggests to me that your bad USB drive might have been the culprit. I'm not convinced that my issue is completely resolved yet (I still had that one freeze when the drive was plugged in after all), so I'm interested to see what you find out.
After replacing those boot drives with a single new drive it has stayed up, its uptime is 2 days now. I had a USB header to two usb port adapter that were stacked vertically and the new usb drive is too thick to both fit in that configuration. I bought a new adapter that has a usb on each side so they won't even have a chance to physically interfere with each other. When I get a chance I plan to shut it down and swap out so I can start mirroring again. It would be kind of hard to believe that two usb thumb drives were saturating the usb interface. I guess maybe if one of them, or both of them were failing and spamming the interface? At this point I'm just not really asking questions and rolling with it. Hopefully it is solved, it's certainly far more stable than it was.

Stux

MVP
I had one of those adapters too. It was dodgy.

Cheap eBay crap from China doesn’t necessarily meet the specifications.

I now have the USBs connected on the external ports.

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
I had one of those adapters too. It was dodgy.

Cheap eBay crap from China doesn’t necessarily meet the specifications.

I now have the USBs connected on the external ports.
That makes sense if you use Cruzer Fits. Then you don't have something hanging out the back that can get damaged. I feel like I've gone through a bunch of those drives though, I'm not sure how confident I am in them.

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
Well, that must have been a fluke. I got a chance to shut it down and insert the second drive in the new adapter. Crashed shortly after. Followed the other recommendation and plugged the drives directly to the back of the board, crashed shortly after. Removed the second drive thinking that maybe it's just fine with one drive, crashed shortly after. It's back to crashing every 20 minutes or so. Really think it's either the power supply or motherboard now. Guess I start by replacing the power supply?

Update: Power supply arrived yesterday and after replacing it, it has stayed up so far. That happened as a fluke before though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.