freeNAS randomly restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

roquemore92

Cadet
I am fairly new to freeNAS and freeBSD so this may be something simple I have overlooked, but thanks in advance for any help I get.

I just put together this freeNAS build:
  • AMD A8-6600k
  • Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-UP4
  • 32GB Corsair DDR3 1333 memory (non-ECC, ran MemTest twice for 24+ hours each time with no errors)
  • 3x3TB Seagate Barracuda
  • 1x3TB WD Black
  • Dual port Intel NIC
  • XFX 850w 80+ silver PSU (overkill but was laying around. Using until I can get a smaller wattage gold or platinum PSU)
  • All in a Rosewill RSV-L4411 (all the HDDs are in a hot-swap cage.
  • Booting freeNAS 9.2.0 from Verbatim 4GB flash drive
So I have set up a ZFS volume, a few datasets, a CIFS share, users, and am able to access the shares just fine.

The problem is ocassionaly the box simply resets. I don't mean a restart where it goes through shut down and turns on again. It's like the reset button is being pressed, it just goes off then starts up again. This seems to happen most frequently during long write periods (trying to copy about 2TB of video files to it) but has happened a couple of times while not reading or writing. I had had a few errors previously (can't remember exactly), that I seemed to fix by replacing 2 of the SATA cables.

Any ideas on what might be causing these resets? Thanks!

bigphil

Patron
I just had the EXACT same issue with a cheap temporary setup I had. During a big write operation, it would just reset and occasionally it would happen randomly too. It turned out to be the motherboard. A dimm slot had gone haywire. I know you said memtest checked out ok, but the same symptom leads me to believe its likely a motherboard issue. I've see power supplies do crazy stuff like that too.

roquemore92

Cadet
I can test with pulling out one stick of memory at a time to try and find a bad slot. I also had a friend suggest checking the motherboards BIOS power settings.

I have never had any issues with the power supply (I had used it in my main gaming rig for about a year) and the motherboard, while obviously not server grade, is a decent board from a reliable manufacturer.

I would like to get a server grade setup but right now cost is the main issue. I was looking at the ASRock mITX Avoton boards but that with 16GB ECC memory would run me about $400 (I could sell my current parts and make back some but not a lot). And having a miniITX board would only give me 1 expansion slot and in that big case would look kinda silly lol o_O

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Are you getting a kernel panic or any text on the console, or is it just hard-shutting down almost like you'd pulled the plug?

If it's the latter, which it sounds a bit like, I'm almost suspecting you have a short or a part not properly seated somewhere.

roquemore92

Cadet
No text, just a hard shutdown. Like when hitting the "reset" button on the case. I will double check that everything is seated properly. Maybe try unplugging my reset button header.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I'd say its probably not a "FreeNAS problem". So that means you are going to have to troubleshoot your hardware to find the problem. I will say that AMD based systems have been problems for many people. Also using desktop components have been a problem. ECC isn't used, but it's probably not your problem.

wasteoid

Cadet
I was having the same problem. My freeNAS would get stuck in the restart process. I could not isolate what was causing the restart. It's currently running without restarts for 5 days. It would restart about every 2 days. The only thing different I have done is attached a monitor to it. I did not see any kernel panics. Is there something I should check for in the logs? /var/log/messages ?

I did set up the email account to receive notifications hoping to catch a message before the restart. That didn't report anything, it would just restart.

This is my build:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLH-F-O uATX Server Motherboard
Seagate NAS HDD 4x4TB SATA
Intel Pentium Processor G3220 3.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646G3220
Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt
Crucial 2x4GB RAM
Crucial M500 240GB SSD
FreeNAS-9.2.1-RELEASE-x64 (Updated on release from 9.2.0)

wasteoid

Cadet
Hit day 6 and it restarted again. Any suggestions? I don't mean to hijack your post, roque.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

wasteoid

Cadet
Yes.

I can try another Motherboard, I just don't want to buy it. I went over the 30 days from newegg on this Mobo to be able to return it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Wasteoid:

The odds of a SuperMicro X10SLH being jacked up are pretty slim. Their QC is pretty tight.

I wonder if your PSU has dodgy voltage on the rails. The IPMI/BIOS in the X10 should allow you to see the voltage sensors. For the setup you have, it's normal for the CPU voltage to be absurd (the voltage is handled internally somehow on the G3220 Haswell), but the other +5, +3.3, +12, -12, you shoudl see those in the sensor readings. If any of those are more than 10% out of whack, that might explain it. Of course, it would be best to look at those under load, if you can.

Generally speaking, weird hardware related issues that aren't obvious as to the cause? First suspect, today's cheap-ass power supplies. :)

Just an idea.

wasteoid

Cadet
I will check the voltages. I was pretty sure it wasn't Supermicro. I have one of their 1RU units, it runs like a champ. That's another project. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.