BUILD Video storage server for home business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deraga

Cadet
A friend who does wedding videography wants a server that can store his videos, there will be other backups but he wants a central location. Budget is not really a concern. I have a build ready to buy, but want to make sure it will handle what he wants. I will start out with about 9hdds in a raidz3. 4 or 6 hdds in vdev mirrors or raid10 and add more later with a total of about 18 hdds. I will be using 4 way splitter on sata power for the extra hdds. We won't be buying parts until the end of December. First time Freenas builder but not first computer to build. Any advise is welcomed.

Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Gigantic Tower
RSV-R4000

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 going to use heatsink that comes with cpu

Ram: Crucial 16GB ECC

Boot Drive: Corsair Flash Voyager 16 GB x2

PSU: XFX XTR Series P1-550B-BEFX 550W
PSU:

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 80+ PLATINUM

HDD: WD 6 TB x9

HDD CAGE: RSV-CAGE

UPS: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD

FANS: 120 x3 PWM

80 x3 PWM
Artic silver 5

Mini Sas to sata cables x3

Total Estimate Price: $3455.77 $3,225.05

Edit changed PSU & cleaned up post

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you plan to get more drives later, you may wish to buy a bigger power supply now. There's some guidance on this in the new sticky at the top of this forum.

tvsjr

Guru
You'll definitely want more power if you intend to go to 18 drives. That's also a lot of heat... managing that much heat in a desktop enclosure is do-able, but it's not a simple plug-in-and-forget process. Make sure you're considering airflow and validating drive temperatures during your burn-in.

Is he intending to use this array primarily for backups, or is he editing directly from it? RAID-10 doesn't exist in ZFS-land... you would instead be running a pool of multiple 2-way vdevs. However, this means sacrificing 50% of your total capacity. If this is primarily a backup device without the need for high IOPS, install 6 drives in RAIDZ2. This gives you more usable capacity. When you need to expand, simply add additional 6-drive RAIDZ2 vdevs to your pool.

Deraga

Cadet
You'll definitely want more power if you intend to go to 18 drives. That's also a lot of heat... managing that much heat in a desktop enclosure is do-able, but it's not a simple plug-in-and-forget process. Make sure you're considering airflow and validating drive temperatures during your burn-in.

Is he intending to use this array primarily for backups, or is he editing directly from it? RAID-10 doesn't exist in ZFS-land... you would instead be running a pool of multiple 2-way vdevs. However, this means sacrificing 50% of your total capacity. If this is primarily a backup device without the need for high IOPS, install 6 drives in RAIDZ2. This gives you more usable capacity. When you need to expand, simply add additional 6-drive RAIDZ2 vdevs to your pool.

This is mostly for backup. He has a workstation for editing. He wants the most redundant option. He may never go with that many hdds, but I wanted to leave room for growth

I will look for a bigger psu. Thank you

tvsjr

Guru
There's adding redundancy, and there's wasting space. If your workload doesn't demand high IOPS and you run mirrored sets, you're just wasting precious spinning rust...

Deraga

Cadet
I am thinking about going with a Raidz3 with 8 hdds at 6tb each. It should give me about 30TBs. Since my friend wants about 20-30tbs. I am choosing RaidZ3 so we can take a hit if 2 hdds go out. I am going to do the smoke test and hdd burn in with other components according to jgreco post. I have changed out the PSU to accommodate the hdds & some extra too since the PSU can do 10 hdds.

Fuganater

Patron
I would buy a 2nd boot drive and mirror the OS. You can do this by selecting both disks during the install.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, if you are doing this for business, the tiny cost for an additional thumb drive is modest. I'd actually recommend buying several, so that if and when there's some trouble, you aren't caught unawares and trying to source a thumb drive frantically.

Deraga

Cadet
Since I have been watching and looking in the forums more. I have decided to make a change to the case since some members have strongly expressed that a consumer case will have heat issues with a lot of hdds. I am looking at the RSV-R4000. I am going to replace the fans with 3x nfs-s12a & 2x NF-A8 so the motherboard can control the fans & not have them running 100% all day. For the 5.25 bays, I am adding the RSV-Cage. The third 120mm fan is for the cage. Doing a total of 6tb x9 in a raidZ3. Has any had experience with this case?

What is the difference between

X10SL7-F-O the description says it is a Micro ATX
X10SL7-F the description says it is a uATX
both boards look identical to me? I am wondering it is just how the websites name them since the first 1 is from Newegg & the other Amazon

Last edited:

Fuganater

Patron
"-O" is for bulk meaning it comes in a brown box and not the fancy Supermicro box.

Don't do RAIDZ3 for 6x drives. If you want redudnancy then do 3x 6TB Mirrors.

I have the RSV cages but not the case. They worked well enough but they are plasitc HDD trays so you need to be careful.

Last edited:

Deraga

Cadet
Thank you for answering the motherboard question. I am going with 9x hdds. The 6x hdd is from an earlier plan. The cage will probably just hold 1 hdd, since the case hold 8x hdds.

For the future hdd expansion, I might use a dummy case DAS to house a psu & hdds with the use of the sas ports on the motherboard.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
"-O" is for bulk meaning it comes in a brown box and not the fancy Supermicro box. I had the same question when I bought mine (X10SRL-F-O).
-O is retail packaging, -B is bulk packaging.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Since I have been watching and looking in the forums more. I have decided to make a change to the case since some members have strongly expressed that a consumer case will have heat issues with a lot of hdds. I am looking at the RSV-R4000. I am going to replace the fans with 3x nfs-s12a & 2x NF-A8 so the motherboard can control the fans & have them running 100% all day. For the 5.25 bays, I am adding the RSV-Cage. The third 120mm fan is for the cage. Doing a total of 6tb x9 in a raidZ3. Has any had experience with this case?

What is the difference between

X10SL7-F-O the description says it is a Micro ATX
X10SL7-F the description says it is a uATX
both boards look identical to me? I am wondering it is just how the websites name them since the first 1 is from Newegg & the other Amazon

uATX *is* Micro ATX. There's a part number guide at the top of this forum to help you decode Supermicro's dash-this-and-that.

Deraga

Cadet
Thank you for the help. I am waiting on my friend to look over the pricing and buy it. I made some minor changes to make the price cheaper.

Fuganater

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.