FreeNAS PC with external Qnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewind75

Cadet
I have an existing Qnap nas not capable of installing Plex. my question is can i put FreeNAS on a small pc and use the qnap for storage?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have an existing Qnap nas not capable of installing Plex. my question is can i put Freenas on a small pc and use the qnap for storage?
If all you want is to get Plex running, couldn't you just install Linux on the PC and then install the Linux version of Plex on it?

You could do a windows install with a VNC program just as easily. In all honesty using FreeNAS to accomplish this would probably be a pain.

FreeNAS is first and foremost a NAS, the ability to use plex and such is just an added perk. If you want to continue using your Qnap just put something you can easily work with on the other computer and run plex that way.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hi,

the question is, how you want to use Plex?
You can just install plex on a windows pc and stream it over the internet and local network. And you can then use your nas as storage.
So I need to know, why you want to install linux on a dedicated pc for that?

Sidewind75

Cadet
Right now Im running plex on my gaming PC. I have an older pc I was going to put plex server on so i can reduce the load on my gaming computer. We will not be doing much streaming just local watching

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Put whatever OS you are most comfortable with on the old PC and install Plex on it.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.