RSYNC FreeNAS 8.0.2 to QNAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogi

Explorer
I've gone through the various threads here and on the QNAP forum and am not having much luck. I have a TS-210 which I want to keep offsite and want to be able to sync my FreeNAS server to it. Doesn't matter what I try, I keep failing at this

Code:
Dec  3 14:50:00 KANDOR rsync: Password: @ERROR: auth failed on module nonodocs
Dec  3 14:50:00 KANDOR rsync: rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1516) [sender=3.0.8]

Testing on the LAN first to get it working before I test offsite.

IP of QNAP is 192.168.1.14
Rsysnc on QNAP is admin with a password

On the FreeNAS, I created the same username/password combo (also tried another username to admin). I created a RSYNC task on FreeNAS pointing to the IP of the QNAP. For module name I used a test share that I created on the QNAP called nonodocs. I can't see anywhere on the QNAP where I can create a module so assuming that it automatically does this??

Milhouse

Guru
The FreeNAS GUI doesn't currently support the ability to specify the password required when connecting to remote systems (see ticket #395).

As suggested by the ticket, try using "--password-file=FILE" in extra options.

Also, try the following:

Code:
rsync --list-only admin@192.168.1.14::nonodocs

You should be prompted for the admin password, enter it. If you get a file listing, all is well, next step try using a --password-file option and accept any security weaknesses this may introduce, then configure the task similarly in the GUI. If not, there's a problem with the module on your QNAP.

nogi

Explorer
As suggested by the ticket, try using "--password-file=FILE" in extra options.

Is that just a plain text file on the FreeNAS?

I just tried as a text file and get this

Code:
password file must not be other-accessible

Milhouse

Guru
Is that just a plain text file on the FreeNAS?

rsync man page:

--password-file

This option allows you to provide a password in a file for accessing an rsync daemon. The file must not be world readable. It should contain just the password as the first line of the file (all other lines are ignored).

This option does not supply a password to a remote shell transport such as ssh; to learn how to do that, consult the remote shell's documentation. When accessing an rsync daemon using a remote shell as the transport, this option only comes into effect after the remote shell finishes its authentication (i.e. if you have also specified a password in the daemon's config file).

nogi

Explorer
Cheers. I got it to work. Called the file rsync.pwd, created in a text editor. Set permissions to 600 and made the rsync user the owner. It all worked after that. Now I just need to set it up to log the results. Will dig up an old thread for that syntax as I remember seeing it recently here.

prenger745

Cadet
A little more guidance

I have been struggling with this for days. I am trying to "push" my date to an rsync server that requires authentication, so I am having the same issue as described and need to use the --password-FILE.

Where do you create the password file? root of the fn? or in a certain directory?

Second: Once I have it in the correct location, I need to set permissions to 600 (if you can explain how, that would be great but I am sure I can find it out elsewhere too). And then you say you made the rsync user the owner. I am confused on who I should make the owner. Should I have a user in fn that matches my user name to the server I am trying to send to?

Thanks so much!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.