FreeNAS on VMWare Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikNotNick

Cadet
Hi

I’m quite new to FreeNAS and currently running 9.2.1.9 on a dedicated PC. I also have a Windows PC which is much more powerful. Due to power consumption and space, I’m thinking about using VMWare to host my FreeNAS but people say it’s a bad idea. My data is quite important to me also.

My question is, VMWare has the option to add physical disks to the guest OS instead of virtual disks. Does it make any difference? Are there going to be significant performance issues. I have tried searching for answers but I’m not a very technical person.

I would be grateful if somebody can help me decide whether to go or not to go with VMware setup.

Thank you
Nik

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There are entire stickies dedicated to this subject. I suggest you read them. Understand them. Based on the fact you are asking this question, the safe answer is run away...

Mlovelace

Guru
FreeNAS on ESXi should only be tried by experts in VMWare... VMWare player is going to be a total fail.

Don't waste your time or data.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would be grateful if somebody can help me decide whether to go or not to go with VMware setup.

Easy. Is your data important? If so, do not virtualize.

Status
Not open for further replies.