Testing FreeNAS 9.10 under VMWare Professional 8.5.6 on Mac OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Morning All,

I'm having problems creating plugins on FreeNAS 9.10 under VMWare - they get to the point of create template message then it just hangs (I've tried multiple plugins same problem)

Currently on XPEnology and want to move to FreeNAS - just updated my HP Gen 8 Microserver to a Xeon 1265L and 16GB EEC, with a SSD for the Boot Drive so keen to move over.

My VMWare testing set up is :
  • 20GB Boot Drive and 70GB - (tried SATA/IDE/iSCSI virtual disks) all work but still unable to create a a Plugin.
  • 70GB Volume - again tried SATA/IDE/iSCSI virtual disks.
  • Allocated 2 CPUS and 8GIG memory
  • Network I have tried both NAT and Bridged.
I'm able to perform most operations on FreeNAS (updates, creating users/shares) - but plugins just don't work. I have tried the 9.10 stable and nightly trains both fail at the same point.

Is there something I missing re the VMWare set to support FreeNAS?

Any help greatly appreciated - would really like to move to FreeNAS but seems a little troublesome (was a beta test on FreeNAS 10 and was hoping that coming down to 9 I would get more stability but not panning out that way).

Sure I'm doing something wrong.

Many Thanks,
Mark.

m0nkey_

MVP
For plugins and jails to work, you need to enable promiscuous mode on the NIC in the VM configuration.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Thanks Monkey - I'm actually running VMWare Fusion ( it says professional in the about dialogue) and I think promiscuous mode is only related to ESXi.

Contrary to my post I've made progress using bridge network adapter - although hit another error message during the plugin install.

Thanks for reading and responding.
Mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.