FreeNAS not detecting hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieP

Cadet
Hello people

Hopefully someone can help me.

I've just downloaded and installed FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC2.

The web interface loads fine but when I add my disk to format, it tells me there are no disks.

I'm using a 500GB Western Digital hard drive taken from a functioning Windows machine. The drive has been tested using the WD diagnostic tools and shows up in the BIOS.

Thanks
Richie

Durkatlon

Patron
You might have to blow the drive away if it has an existing file system on it. In Windows, you can do this by starting a Command Prompt running with Administrator privileges. Then run "DISKPART", type "LIST DISK", pick the disk you need to wipe (let's say it's disk 2), the type "SELECT DISK 2", and "CLEAN", "EXIT". Note that the "2" after the SELECT DISK command is the disk you want to wipe based on the inspection of the results of LIST DISK. You better get this number right, otherwise you'll be nuking some other disk, possibly the OS disk.

If you *want* to import the disk with existing data on it, I assume it is an NTFS disk. There is a way to import NTFS disks I believe, but I've never tried it. Maybe someone else can chime in.

ProtoSD

MVP
Yeah, importing NTFS and FAT/FAT32 doesn't seem to work yet, at least for me. I've opened a ticket here if you want to add to it.
https://support.freenas.org/ticket/759

Other than that, if you don't care about the data, Durk is right. I thought there was a way in the GUI now to wipe disks, but I haven't had time to look/test it yet.

RichieP

Cadet
Thanks for the replies.

I tried Diskpart but no joy.

I downloaded the previous version of Freenas and now up and running no problem.

apdragon

Dabbler
with freenas 8, you might have to update your bios if your motherboard is old. I had same issue with AMD boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.