SOLVED FreeNAS Mini Refusing to Power On

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshake

Cadet
I have a Mini that I bought a week shy of a year ago, and it has been working great until about last night. I have it on a UPS, and have been using the IPMI interface exclusively (up until today) with no issues for all system administration. I woke up today and the CIFS share was disconnected from my desktop, so I had to go into the IPMI interface and reset the server. It came back (in its usual sweet time), and just before I left for work I applied the most recent 9.10 update (FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604140622) from the previous one in that train. Got home, no problems.

I primarily use this box to host a Plex server, and while I was watching something this evening, about a half hour into the episode it locked up, client lost contact, and as far as I could tell the server had rebooted (not just the jail, the whole FreeNAS system, and it took the usual few minutes to come back). I then went to check on it, saw nothing out of place in the logs, and also updated the IPMI BMC firmware while I was at it (0.23->0.27). Fast forward an hour, and the same crash happened again in a new episode (that had played fine before), with the system apparently going down hard. I went into the IPMI and tried to power cycle, it showed that power was on, but 15 minutes later the system still didn't respond to network. Since I'd been getting some occasional ipmi-related errors in the console over the past week or so, I decided that an actual unplugging might be good for it (drain the caps, etc), so I did that, but FreeNAS never came back (though the lights were on, and IPMI was working). I did a power reset through the console, and then it decided that it wouldn't power back on. I tried multiple times, including going back to the basement and pushing the power button, but nothing.

If I unplug it, when I plug back in the PSU fan spools up for 3-5 seconds with power lights indicating, then cuts out leaving only the network light showing that the IPMI is working. The IPMI interface (Megarac SP) still works, and in the power control it says host power is off, and fails every time I try to tell it to turn back on. So I'm stuck now with a box that won't turn on at all, from a working system 24 hours ago with no problems. Is there something else I can do? I'm running really close to that 1-year limited warranty, and don't even know if it'll cover this either.

cshake

Cadet
Forgot to close this out - I contacted support, they figured it was a motherboard issue, sent me a new one, and after I swapped it out it's all working great again.
Kudos to iXsystems for their quick and helpful service people!

mauirixxx

Explorer
well crap. this is EXACTLY what I'm dealing with at work tonight. Bummer that my warranty expired back in April :( thanks @cshake for reporting back what the trouble was, I was about to try a new PSU before I found your post .... Mahalo!

ChriZ

Patron
Well, you should try a new PSU if you have one in hand.
Failing to power on is not solely a mainboard issue.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It does sound like a power supply issue. Probably worth contacting support even if it is slightly out of warranty, it might be a known issue with an easy fix.

mauirixxx

Explorer
I just tried an ATX psu I had on hand, and got the same results. Contacted tech support last night, hopefully they'll cut an out of warranty deal with me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.