iXsystems FreeNAS Mini - won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

anordine

Cadet
I purchased an iXsystems FreeNAS mini in January 2015. On Monday or Tuesday last week, it just dropped off the face of the earth and I have no idea what happened.

Essentially, I went to connect to our network share and it failed. Tried again, failed. Tried to connect to the FreeNAS web administration page; no joy. Connected to the IPMI control interface and the system appeared to be running without any logged anomalies. I attempted an orderly shutdown which failed twice. I then did an "immediate" power-down via IPMI followed by a reboot. The system never returned a ping except via the IPMI interface and the web administration page never came up.

I attached a VGA monitor and USB keyboard and rebooted again. The monitor says there is "no signal." The ethernet cable - whether attached to the 1st or 2nd port do not light up green and the amber light blinks very slowly.

Since setting it up, it's been running in a cool (~65-70 degree) dry basement connected to a UPS. I'm aware of no major power events and didn't recently attempt any software upgrades or config changes.

I've got a Serial-to-USB cable (DBDB9) that I think I got from Dynex that I've used to connect to my pfSense router before, but I cannot seem to connect properly to the system or the system won't connect via serial either.

I'm totally flummoxed. Hopeful that the data is intact, but at a loss as to how to recover the system. Any help/suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When you access ipmi can you see the console? It's really strange that you get no signal when connecting the monitor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

anordine

Cadet
So, from the "Dashboard" of IPMI the "Remote Control" widget says "Host is powered OFF or in Sleep Mode." When I try to launch the jviewer.jnlp "Console Redirection" I get "Video Socket Error: Abnormal Termination"

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What happens when you power it on

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

anordine

Cadet
Fans start turning and system appears to come alive, but then nothing ever comes of it. Seems to stall out or something.

gpsguy

Do a forum search - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?search/3551160/&q=dead+asrock&t=post&o=date

These Asrock boards have been dropping like flies recently.

One of our affected users contacted iXsystems regarding the issue - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/dead-asrock-c2750-rma-or-cut-losses.46162/#post-314380

IX Systems responded that my Mini is out of its 1-year hardware warranty. Suggested options included (1) buying a new motherboard from them for $395 or (2) sending them the board to do an RMA through the manufacturer, where the new board could take up to 4 weeks to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.