SOLVED Freenas ISO fails from USB trying to store config. Error 13. Write protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumo

Cadet
I am getting error 13 when FreeNAS tries to store config. This is happening on a hp Microserver G8. Do you know if this may have been encountered before or does anyone have any clue as to why this might be happening? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1989.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 237

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hold on. What is going on here? Your title talks about an ISO (presumably the FreeNAS installer), but then you talk about storing a config?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Looks like it's trying to write to a write-protected device. The system device for a (very) old version of FreeNAS?

Rumo

Cadet
@Ericloewe I've burned the ISO onto a USB stick & booting from it? I am fresh to FreeNas (and FreeBSD for that matter) so not familiar with device namings etc. I believe the MicroServer offers smart provisioning and looking at all devices via a live linux session I can see an extra device (which should be write protected from an OS perspective). I'm wondering if FreeNAS might try to write to there by default?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please describe which version of FreeNAS is being used.

Rumo

Cadet
Thanks a lot for looking at this guys. Some good news, followed by some sad news, followed by some more good news...

The good news is, disabling the "virtual installation drive" of the HP Gen8 Microserver worked and the boot process is now successful, so this issue is device specific. The sad news is, once the installer loaded, I realised I accidentally wrote the same boot image on two USB drives. Suffice to say, (and this is truly embarassing, but here we go) the image in question was not a FreeNAS one... I couldn't tell as I'd never seen the FreeNAS booting process before, right? The final piece of good news is, FreeNAS does NOT try to write a configuration file to a physical disk during a live boot which I imagine should be read-only par excellence. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.