FreeNAS - iPad, XBox360, PS3, Accessing NAS across the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggie

Dabbler
Just some basic things I'd like to know about FreeNAS and these other things.

1: Can you access your files from an iPad and perhaps stream video, photo's, music from FreeNAS onto your iPad?

2: Can you do the same on the Xbox 360 (view photo's, stream video's etc) ?

3: Can you do the same on the PS3 ?

4: If you are at work (or someone's house) can you use a computer there. (There PC, or perhaps your iPad you carry with you) to access your data in your FreeNAS box running at home?

Thanks.

ohnename

Explorer
PS3, Xbox are using DNLA, this feature is in the roadmap for FN8.1
For the iPad you should take a look, I´m sure there is a SMB client as app (or NFS client or AFP client)
4) you can share your data with ftp, open the ports and make a dyndns config in your router and then you should be able to access to all your data from the internet

Piggie

Dabbler
PS3, Xbox are using DNLA, this feature is in the roadmap for FN8.1
For the iPad you should take a look, I´m sure there is a SMB client as app (or NFS client or AFP client)
4) you can share your data with ftp, open the ports and make a dyndns config in your router and then you should be able to access to all your data from the internet

Thanks for this. I knew that, under windows, Media Centre is the thing that streams moves and such like to a 360 console.
Glad to hear this is coming :)

I'll do a search for the iPad then if it's a possibility.

When you say FTP, I guess of course this is naturally passworded :)
I'm also guessing it's just a rough FTP front end then. It's not like a windows desktop "see your icons" type of front end.

I'm kind of thinking FreeNAS is excellent, and can do most things, and is compatible with everything. However it's also, how shall I put it. More "functional" than cosmetically pretty?

Status
Not open for further replies.