Freenas installation failed (network)

Hello:)
Problem:
After the installation script and reboot I get this error message "The web interface could not be accessed. please check network configuration.

I have already read in another thread that certain hardware is not supported. I would be surprised if my hardware is not supported because it is consumer hardware.

I am absolutely new to freenas. does anyone have an idea how I can fix this problem? if the hardware is not supported, is there a workaround? I would really like to use freenas.

Hardware:
500GB Kingston SSD
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
2x 8GB (1x 8192MB) Kingston DDR4 ECC Ram
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AM4

Tried:
- Console setup under "Configure network interfaces" nothing is displayed.
- Reinstallation did not fix the error
- (Yes the lan cable is plugged in:D)
- Googled but found nothing but the hardware support.

Evertb1

Guru
I would be surprised if my hardware is not supported because it is consumer hardware
I would be more surprised if server hardware was not supported. FreeNAS (FreeBSD) is not really targeted to support all kinds of consumer hardware. In many cases it works but no special support for consumer hardware can be expected. So if it works you are in luck, if it doesn't you need to find an alternative.

Redcoat

MVP
if the hardware is not supported, is there a workaround?
I missed answering this question. Your hardware is not supported in FreeBSD, the foundation OS for FreeNAS. The workaround is to get a PCIe Intel NIC amd plug it into an open slot on your motherboard. Look on ebay for Pro1000, but 'ware fakes. Buy local and where returnable. Look for a unit with a Yottamark.

Evertb1

Guru
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AM4
One thing you should know: I see you have ECC ram. Past month I had some e-mail communication with the Gigabyte support staff because I just bought a B550 Aorus Pro motherboard and I wanted to know for sure that it was worth it to buy ECC memory.

They have let me know that the Aorus B550 motherboards can run with ECC memory but they don't work in ECC modus. So the ECC function is not utilized. This is often the case with consumer grade motherboards. If the specs states that the motherboard supports ECC memory that means most of the time it can run with ECC memory and that's it. As far as I know only ASRock has B550 consumer grade motherboards that really utilize ECC.

Maybe it's a dissapointment to you but I did not want to leave you with the impression that you had everything covered while in fact you have no protection from ECC.

This is the message I received form the support team:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear customer,

Update from our team:

You can install ECC memory on this board. However, the ECC function cannot be utilized. If you are interested with ECC function (with ECC memory), then you can consider our TRX40 models.

Thank you for emailing GIGABYTE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I guess you can always invest in a ThreadRipper system :smile: (or go for an ASRock motherboard).