FreeNAS FreeNAS-11.1-U6 - NFS User Nobody

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTPN

Cadet
Hi Folks,

I will start out by saying I am in no way shape or means a FreeNAS or FreeBSD expert, I came from a Synology NAS, then to a home build xpenology nas and due to outgrowing both units, we are now moving onto freenas :)

We are trying to build a storage solution, and a part of this includes a data directory for our Ubuntu host which is acting as our Docker Manager.

Sadly, we are running into a few issues around permissions and after browsing forums, googling my heart out and watching the youtube tutorials, I am turning to the experts for some help :)

According to the FreeNAS video, in our scenario, we should be mounting the share to root/wheel as the containers will want to chown the files they own. Supposedly this is the best way to do this for now (?). Hence the reason below, we map to root incase anyone thought i was loosing the plot.
  • FreeNAS User - docker (1020)
  • FreeNAS Group - docker (1020)
  • Ubuntu User - docker (1020)
  • Ubuntu Group - docker (1020)

• On FreeNAS I have created the following dataset and permissions:

• On FreeNAS i then created my NFS share under Sharing, using the following configuration

• At this point i then logged (ssh) into my Ubuntu box (user: docker) and create the mount point folder: /mnt/dockernfs
  • I then (successfully) mounted the remote NFS share using the following command: sudo mount 10.0.1.XXX:/mnt/Data/Docker /mnt/dockernfs

• To test everything is working, i created a helloubuntu.txt file from ubuntu and a hellonfs.txt file from freeNAS

• As you can see, the permissions don't match what i would expect them to be. So i also ran the same command on the FreeNAS box to see what the result was:

At this point, i am out of ideas as to where we are going wrong. If someone could help me diagnose where the issue lays that would be amazing. Many Thanks in advance!

Other bits and pieces:

System Information
Hostname freenas.local Edit
Build FreeNAS-11.1-U6
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2430L v2 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 24537MB
System Time Sun, 2 Sep 2018 18:47:15 +0100
Uptime 6:47PM up 3 days, 22:15, 0 users
Load Average 0.45, 0.36, 0.31

Status
Not open for further replies.