FreeNAS failing to give web address

EMBoots

Dabbler
Hey y'all, I made a post on the LinusTechTips forums a couple days ago and tried some stuff that they suggested over there and nothing worked so I'm coming here to ask the same question to y'all.
Here's my LTT forum post: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1348709-freenas-not-giving-ip-address-despite-being-static/
Going to copy it word for word here.

"So about a month ago my ISP reset my router (can't remember what for) and it in a way broke my FreeNAS box.
Whenever I boot it, it doesn't give me an IP through DCHP. I tried making it static, it accepted it but then it doesn't give me the message of "The web user interface is at http://192.168.0.48"
1624251058586.png

It just gives me that, I honestly have no clue what to do to fix it, I've tried to set it in every way possible (to my knowledge).

FreeNAS-11.3-U5 is the version that's currently running
If any additional information is needed, I got you.
I just want my NAS back up and running after everything I went through with it."

Additional information I've gained through the process of troubleshooting is that it is in fact mounted and on my network because I can access it through my Windows machine and my phone. It is assigned the 192.168.0.11 IP by my router which I found out through my router's "Connected Devices" tab. I've tried restarting my router, the box and everything in between and nothing has worked.

Choose option 9.
Type ifconfig and press enter.
Post the picture.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
In the thread on LTT you mentioned that you can actually access FN and just the web interface isn't there. Does access include logging in via SSH?

EMBoots

Dabbler
In the thread on LTT you mentioned that you can actually access FN and just the web interface isn't there. Does access include logging in via SSH?
I'll try sshing the morning, if you can, give me what I'd do if it were either a yes or a no

Your link is active and has an ip so your services should be reachable at that IP. It is not the IP you thought it was for whatever reason. http://192.168.0.11 should produce your GUI login.

Also, curious as to what you expect your ip to be, are you assigning it a persistent DHCP address via the old router (or settings)?

Last edited:

EMBoots

Dabbler
Your link is active and has an ip so your services should be reachable at that IP. It is not the IP you thought it was for whatever reason. http://192.168.0.11 should produce your GUI login.

Also, curious as to what you expect your ip to be, are you assigning it a persistent DHCP address via the old router (or settings)?
See that's the issue, http://192.168.0.11 doesn't produce my GUI login I just get the normal cannot connect thing.
1624687624203.png

I expected it to be 192.168.0.11 because that's what the DHCP set it to.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Just out of curiosity, can you try it with HTTPS?

What is the output of netstat -lan | grep LISTEN when run from the SSH login?

EMBoots

Dabbler
Is the web server running? Check with service nginx status. If it isn't, start it with service nginx start.
1624742744139.png

It's not running, tried to start it, it failed. It says that it's not permitted so I tried it on the box itself and once again says that it failed.
nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/nginx: WARNING: failed to start nginx

Edit: the shell from the FN box itself
1624743157682.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Hmmm. nginx doesn't have permissions to the error log directory or to read the private key (or perhaps one or the other is missing)--I don't know what you've done to your system, but it wasn't good. I'd recommend downloading your latest config file (you can find it in /var/db/system/configs-(longhexhumber)/(TrueNAS version), from there you can copy it onto a shared folder and then onto your computer), reinstall the same version of TrueNAS, and upload that saved config file through the web GUI.

EMBoots

Dabbler
Hmmm. nginx doesn't have permissions to the error log directory or to read the private key (or perhaps one or the other is missing)--I don't know what you've done to your system, but it wasn't good. I'd recommend downloading your latest config file (you can find it in /var/db/system/configs-(longhexhumber)/(TrueNAS version), from there you can copy it onto a shared folder and then onto your computer), reinstall the same version of TrueNAS, and upload that saved config file through the web GUI.
Idk if seeing the FN box's shell changes anything in this reply. I don't really know how I'd go about doing that, if you could give me some simple steps that'd be cool

Something other than nginx is listening on port 443. It tries to take the port, and fails. Stop all your jails from the terminal CLI
iocage list
iocage stop JAIL repeat for each jail
sockstat -4 -l | grep :443

The sockstat command will show you all running processes and what sockets they are using. Please show us.

Last edited:
From your above screenshot it looks as if the user "frank" was trying to start nginx. I think thats what caused the permission issue. However the second run look to be from the host terminal at a proper root prompt when the address in use error was thrown.

EMBoots

Dabbler
Something other than nginx is listening on port 443. It tries to take the port, and fails. Stop all your jails from the terminal CLI
iocage list
iocage stop JAIL repeat for each jail
sockstat -4 -l | grep :443

The sockstat command will show you all running processes and what sockets they are using. Please show us.
1624758617474.png

I went through and stopped all the jails and ran the sockstat command, what next

service proftpd stop && service nginx start

Your running your ftp on port 443