SOLVED FreeNAS ALSO sets Gateway IP for web interface access

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastix

Cadet
Hi guys,

This is really frustrating... and I've tried so many things to solve it already, but I was not able to make it work.

I've currently set up DHCP so that I can check if it receives a correct IP form my router... and it does... but for some reason the router IP is also assigned to FreeNAS. This messes up some Windows devices in the network.

Code:
The web user interface is at:

http://10.0.0.1

http://10.0.0.9

Enter an option from 1-12:

Oct 17 11:29:59 freenas kernel: arp: ao:04:60:3f:10:0
2 is using my IP address 10.0.0.1 on bridge0!

Oct 17 11:29:59 freenas kernel: arp: ao:04:60:3f:10:0 is using my IP address 10
0.0.1 on bridge0!

Some additional information:

* FreeNAS is running as VM in Proxmox (Proxmox works fine)
* Latest FreeNAS version
* I've already tried to set a static IP -> Same problem
* I've already deleted the ethernet card and re-added it -> Same problem

Anyone any idea what needs to be done?! What am I missing?

Regards,

Sascha

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I don't know if running FreeNAS as a Proxmox VM is a good idea.

However, it appears to have two virtual network cards. Remove one, and make sure the remaining is set to DHCP. If your DHCP server is even vaguely standards-compliant, it will check for an address in use before assigning it.

mastix

Cadet
I don't know if running FreeNAS as a Proxmox VM is a good idea.

It worked fine before in another setup. That's why I'm doing it again.

However, it appears to have two virtual network cards. Remove one, and make sure the remaining is set to DHCP. If your DHCP server is even vaguely standards-compliant, it will check for an address in use before assigning it.

I had the same thought and the 10.0.0.9 is fine (actually my em0 interface received the correct IP in FreeNAS). So i checked ifconfig's output and it tells me that there's one called bridge0 which received the router ip (10.0.0.1). So I deleted it via:

Code:
ifconfig bridge0 down delete

and

Code:
ifconfig bridge0 destroy

This fixed it and I was able to access the GUI again, but it appeared again after a reboot - and the problem was back. :( So what would be the correct solution to make it stay?

Edit:

Just to not confuse anybody: Of course I'm using the bridge mode in Proxmox for the network interface, but that's only because I don't want to use NAT. This works fine in another setup.

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Something in your FreeNAS configuration is creating that bridge device and assigning a static IP address to it. Offhand, I'm not sure of an easy way to find that. Possibly settings under Network, or an attempt to run VMs under FreeNAS. If it shows up as a separate interface under Network in the GUI, remove the DHCP option.

mastix

Cadet
That was the hint I've needed!!!! Thanks a lot... I fixed it!

Solution: A jail I've created had a fixed ip (10.0.0.1) in the IP4 Bridge field. I surely does not belong there and I have no idea how this could have happened. But this was the solution! Thanks a lot man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.