FreeNas Bottleneck Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny81

Contributor
  1. Yes, set it to 1500.

2. Back to the default, yes.

3. Yes, all back to default.

4. If it's still green, i.e. 1000 full duplex on the DLink, you can leave it.

5. Probably a good idea at this point. ;)

Jumbo frames need to be enabled end-to-end or you will get all sorts of strange network errors. By default everything assumes 1500. Given that you are troubleshooting network issues let switch back to the default. Once it's working properly if you want/need to you can try turning jumbo frames back on.

Great reply!!

Alright I've done all you said on my desktop. Switch light and NIC light is still green so that's cool.

I actually bought two of those Intel NICs. Do you recommend I installed one on the NAS and one on the desktop? My desktop NIC is a Marvell Yukon 88E8056.

If I decide to turn on the jumbo frames again I just go into the GUI under network interfaces and type in mtu 9000 correct? If I'm missing a step please let me know.

I'll give you a status update tomorrow as soon as I get some proper NICs installed :)

pfonseca

Dabbler
Hi sonny81,

Sorry if I confused you with Jumbo frames staff... but on Gigabit networks, is a boost.

On NAS, change the MTU is quite simple, NAS MTU config.JPG I don't remember fi I have to reboot or not.

On your desktop, if Windows I guess, you can do it o the driver configuration applet.

let us know when you have the new stiff in place.

Regards,

sonny81

Contributor
Hi sonny81,

Sorry if I confused you with Jumbo frames staff... but on Gigabit networks, is a boost.

On NAS, change the MTU is quite simple, View attachment 1038 I don't remember fi I have to reboot or not.

On your desktop, if Windows I guess, you can do it o the driver configuration applet.

let us know when you have the new stiff in place.

Regards,
Freenas share connection error.JPG

I have connection with the new Intel PCIe NIC and I'm getting green lights all across my switch :)

This seemed to work great last post so I'll number these again:

1. Just have a minor issue. I can't access one of my shares that's password protected (error message attached). I'm typing everything in correctly but I'm wondering if there's some sort of "log in cache" I need to clear.

In other words are there simply too many people connected to this drive? Should only be three computers. If I add "Allow Guest Access" in the shares option it works fine.

2. I've looked through the GUI and remember when I initially set this share up there was some option about allowed users to be logged in (unless I'm imagining things). Where can I find that?

3. Thanks so much for your help!! Posting photos and drawn diagrams is going above and beyond; I'm grateful.

I'll change my jumbo frame settings and will let you know how that goes. If it causes any issues, I'll just turn them off on both NICs.

Thanks!!

sonny81

Contributor
So now it looks like I'm getting locked out of all my shares. I added a new share and mapped it to my computer but after restarting my local machine I keep getting a windows security message saying "access denied" and asking me for a username and password.

I type in my Freenas username I assigned as the owner of the share and the password I recreated for that user but it doesn't work.

I enable read/write address for everyone across the board (owner, guest, other), allowed guest access for each share, and under Allow Host for each share I put in my username.

Not sure why I'm having these issues all of a sudden. Didn't have this problem 30mins ago.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know what to say. Access denied working when guest users are checked tells me you don't have the permissions correct.

sonny81

Contributor
I don't know what to say. Access denied working when guest users are checked tells me you don't have the permissions correct.

1. Is there a log in max or anything of that nature? I bought a new switch that supported jumbo frames, installed new Intel NICs in my NAS and Desktop. It was working fine and suddenly is started giving me the issue.

Under "Network" in Windows I see all my shares and they are online. The mapped drives of those shares under My Computer say offline. In either case when I click the shares Windows Security asks for user name and password.

2. Is there a log in cash that I need to clear in windows or freenas?

paleoN

Wizard
Under "Network" in Windows I see all my shares and they are online. The mapped drives of those shares under My Computer say offline. In either case when I click the shares Windows Security asks for user name and password.
Reboot your Windows PC.

Windows is dumb and makes you use the same user/context to login to all the shares.

You may need to delete your mapped drives and map them again.

sonny81

Contributor
Reboot your Windows PC.

Windows is dumb and makes you use the same user/context to login to all the shares.

You may need to delete your mapped drives and map them again.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This system really pisses me off...sorry just needed to get that out. I spent hours and hours and hours on this thing and basically just put in the same settings again with full guest access and now its working fine again but I'm at 15mbps when three days ago I was at 50mbps. Plus I just got a better switch that can operate at 2gbps in full duplex mode.

Granted I know I will never see that kind of speed with all the network overhead, but when really irritates me is that there isn't a step by step guide anywhere out there that simply says "go here, change this value to this, go to shell, put in this command, etc."

Everything else else under the sun has this in some way shape or form and I just don't have the luxury of time to study for a "Freenas Network + Certification" (just as an example; I know such a thing doesn't exist).

Again I apologize for my frustration and am truly grateful for everyone's help. If this were any other system or platform, from past experiences, I'd find my answers in 15minutes and not losing an entire week of work just to safe guard people's wedding photos better.

Anyone know of a straight to the point step by step guide on optimizing Freenas 8.2?

Appreciate it!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There really isn't a step-by-step guide. It really depends on how YOU intend to use the server and what you expect from it. Then the hardware and software tweaked accordingly(if needed at all). It's a much better option than Windows (in my opinion) because I built a FreeNAS server and got it running much better than any Windows Server I've seen before. Performance-wise my server rocks all the other Windows SMB servers I've ever built or used. Reliability-wise ZFS is far superior to NTFS.

It really is a situation where you have to do your own research and get the "FreeNAS Network + Certification" or pay someone else to do the hard work for you. This is why UNIX isn't used in the consumer market. It's not a point-and-click OS. It's extremely powerful when properly tuned, and can be a disastrous mistake when improperly tuned or not well understood.

sonny81

Contributor
Looks like I finally get to be a contributor :)

For those of you with Windows 7 getting the "Access Denied" message when trying to log into a Freenas share (assuming you configured the Freenas share permissions properly):

Anytime I tried to access my share using the NAS Netbios name (ex. \\FREENAS\FreenasShareName\)Windows 7 would give me Access Denied even when putting in my correct user name and password.

When I put in the address as (just an example): \\192.168.1.2\FreenasShareName\ it would accept my log in credentials.

I couldn't right click the drive and map it as a share drive via its ip address, but COULD do this under My Computer and clicking Map Network Drive. Here, Windows allows you to put things in manually. When I right clicked the share itself, the only way I could manually put in its parameters was if I made it a share folder without a drive letter (not as pretty).

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.