freenas-boot DEGRADED, trouble attaching device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharvey500

Cadet
Hi, I'm having trouble attaching a new USB device online for boot mirror. Originally I attached this device to the mirror to replace another defective USB device. Apparently it was working because the alert for DEGRADED volume went away, but I though something was wrong because of the name given to the device in the mirror 6773854427341823304 instead of the old device da1p2. So I disconnected it and tried to reformat it to no avail. It is read only. I tried to mangle it back to life with geom and gpart to no avail. I tried following the instructions at http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q to no avail (see below). How can I bring this USB device back to life?

Geom name: da1
Providers:
1. Name: da1
Mediasize: 31043616768 (29G)
Sectorsize: 512
Mode: r-1w-1e-1
wither: (null)

[root@freenas ~]# zpool replace freenas-boot 6773854427341823304 da1
cannot open 'da1': no such GEOM provider
must be a full path or shorthand device name
[root@freenas ~]# zpool online freenas-boot da1
cannot online da1: no such device in pool
[root@freenas ~]# zpool online freenas-boot 6773854427341823304
warning: device '6773854427341823304' onlined, but remains in faulted state
use 'zpool replace' to replace devices that are no longer present
[root@freenas ~]# zpool replace freenas-boot 6773854427341823304 da1
cannot open 'da1': no such GEOM provider
must be a full path or shorthand device name
[root@freenas ~]#

Nick2253

Wizard
I would just stick in in another computer, wipe it, and then plug it back in to start over again. Messing around with those tools from the FreeNAS command line is just asking for trouble (one wrong command, and whoops, there goes your data).

mharvey500

Cadet
I would just stick in in another computer, wipe it, and then plug it back in to start over again. Messing around with those tools from the FreeNAS command line is just asking for trouble (one wrong command, and whoops, there goes your data).

When I try to wipe it on a Windows computer it appears to be read only. I use "flash drive tester", when I try to write, errors on every sector, read is OK.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
What Make/Model USB Stick?
If you are familiar with the "DiskPart" Command in Windows you can simply use the "Clean" Command to wipe the USB Stick (Windows 7 and above).

*** Be VERY Careful using DiskPart and be 100% Sure you are selecting the correct Disk, otherwise you are going to be in a world of hurt if you "Clean" your OS or any other drive holding vital data...

Otherwise, this USB may just not be worth it and simply buying a new one (they are cheap nowadays) would be better. Heck, if possible, replace your USB Boot devices with a small SSD which is much better anyways...

mharvey500

Cadet
What Make/Model USB Stick?
If you are familiar with the "DiskPart" Command in Windows you can simply use the "Clean" Command to wipe the USB Stick (Windows 7 and above).

*** Be VERY Careful using DiskPart and be 100% Sure you are selecting the correct Disk, otherwise you are going to be in a world of hurt if you "Clean" your OS or any other drive holding vital data...

Otherwise, this USB may just not be worth it and simply buying a new one (they are cheap nowadays) would be better. Heck, if possible, replace your USB Boot devices with a small SSD which is much better anyways...

This is a brand new Kingston DataTraveler G4 32GB. I feel bad taking it back to the store as defective if it was mangled by the software. Here is the output from DiskPart. There was nothing in the system event log about the error.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 465 GB 1024 KB
Disk 1 Online 28 GB 0 B *

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 C NTFS Partition 198 GB Healthy System
Volume 1 F NTFS Partition 266 GB Healthy
Volume 2 NTFS Partition 449 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 3 D Removable 512 KB Unusable

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Unknown 512 KB 17 KB
Partition 0 Unknown 28 GB 532 KB

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
See the System Event Log for more information.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Nick2253

Wizard
I feel bad taking it back to the store as defective if it was mangled by the software.

It's highly unlikely you drive was mangled by software. Software is pretty good at mangling data; much less good at permanently damaging hardware. :D

Based on what you've run in to with DiskPart, I would say that it's much more likely you got a defective drive.

Nick2253

Wizard
Whoops, double post.

Status
Not open for further replies.