Freenas and Nextcloud - cannot get past first base!

Hi all,
I've played with Freenas a few times and would now like to roll it out. My main requirement is for Nextcloud to run on it but I've hit a hurdle:
Installed Freenas onto suitable hardware (i7, 8GB etc). All running OK. Added a Pool and a Dataset.

Installed Nextcloud via the plugin method and can get into the setup screen no issue. The problem is that when I try and setup the admin account, no matter what options I try, it comes back and says:
error while trying to create admin user: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occurred in driver: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user 'adminnc'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Anyone got any suggestions please? Screencap attached.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-12-04 145236.jpg
    Annotation 2019-12-04 145236.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 366

KevDog

Patron
Hi -- kind of hard to debug your specific problem without details. Seems like you don't have the right admin name or password.
For installing nextcloud within jail, I used these instructions. They are very thorough. https://www.samueldowling.com/2018/...n-freenas-iocage-jail-with-hardened-security/

Worst case scenario in your case (since you have a fresh installation), would be to totally destroy the database and start fresh.

adrianwi

Guru
It's a long time since I used the Nextcloud plugin (it was called ownCloud) but it only worked with the sqlite database and not mysql. That might be the problem here, but I'd strongly recommend searching the forum for Nextcloud and using one of the excellent guides to set this up using an iocage jail and not a plugin.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The Nextcloud plugin is pathologically bad, and iX haven't shown the slightest interest in improving it. Either install manually, or use my script:

garm

Wizard
The script is nice, and closer to what the plugin should be. But doing it yourself is a worth while experience, especially if the data hosted is of any value. Recovery, maintenance and general ops is easier if you have a feeling for what’s under the hood. It’s true for Land Rovers and it’s true for servers

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions - will look at the scripted install.
The script is nice, and closer to what the plugin should be. But doing it yourself is a worth while experience, especially if the data hosted is of any value. Recovery, maintenance and general ops is easier if you have a feeling for what’s under the hood. It’s true for Land Rovers and it’s true for servers
I kind of agree (I used to have a Landy Series III and rebuilt the diesel engine) but at the moment, I'm just trying to see if Nextcloud is the correct platform for what we want to do. I'm just downloading the Hansoon VM and also have Ubuntu installing on a spare PC. If Nextcloud works for us then I'll delve more deeply.

G8One2

Patron
I used the Samuel Doweling manual installation method. I didnt know about danb35's script prior. I did have to do a few things differently than what was posted in the how to with the Samuel Doweling method, but a manual install should be the way to go by following their guides. I had to manually create the folders for the fstab step, and for whatever reason the php pkg install command didnt work, so i had to manually install php32. I was able to get it all working tough using the manual install. I tried the plug in, yeah it sucks dont use it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's a lot to be said for a manual installation, particularly when the guide explains (as Dowling's does) not only what to do, but why you're doing it. My thought in writing the script was that so many people were having problems following a different guide, and so many of those problems were a matter of user error, why not reduce as much as possible what the user has to do? Dowling has gone in the opposite direction. I think my way is easier to do, but his results, potentially, in a better understanding of what's going on in your installation.

G8One2

Patron
What i did like about the Doweling guide, was that i could literally copy / paste every single command. Only a couple of things didnt work, i think because it just needs updated. The SSL portion was a little confusing ony because i wasnt inputting my domain address correctly. Overall, i was impressed with how it worked out for me. Your script would probably be easier though. I dont mind learning either so.

KevDog

Patron
What i did like about the Doweling guide, was that i could literally copy / paste every single command. Only a couple of things didnt work, i think because it just needs updated. The SSL portion was a little confusing ony because i wasnt inputting my domain address correctly. Overall, i was impressed with how it worked out for me. Your script would probably be easier though. I don't mind learning either so.

Samuel Dowling is very active in answering questions and usually responds within 24 hours if you post a question at the bottom of the instructions. I believe all his settings to be accurate if you perform them correctly. His site is actively maintained and he makes changes if users report something not working.