FreeNAS and Fibre Channel ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Sparks

Explorer
Hi Guys,

I have read several blog posts that say you can configure the iSCSI sharing and it also somehow mystically works with fibre channel too.

I am asking because I have been given a Cisco DS-C9148-48P-K9 48-Active Ports Multilayer Fabric Switch & 48 x Cisco DS-SFP-FC8G-SW 8GbFC SFP+

and a whole load of QLogic QLE2562 and 2 x 8GbFC SFP+

I have already upgraded the version of NX-OS on the Cisco MDS fabric switch and I am very tempted to pop a dual port fibre channel card in each of my home lab servers and also my FreeNAS box and try it out.

Does anyone know of a decent fibre channel implementation using FreeNAS that has been documented / blogged about.

Also I currently use the Intel X520-SR2 which is a dual port 10GbE card for my FreeNAS box and all my home lab hosts access the storage over iSCSI I was wondering if there was a good guide out there as to how to optimize FreeNAS for 10GbE.

Thanks in Advance,

Simon Sparks

GlobalMind

Cadet
Yea the thread here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6285 was supposed to indicate they were including native FC support into FreeNAS. However, that should have been before 9.10 - and to my knowledge it's not there in its own tab as it should have been, or at least how it was discussed. It's also interesting the status of that bug changed from where it was saying to call it "done" to a target release of "N/A".

There's a lot of discussion around iSCSI over fiber. That's not native fibre channel. What I think m0nkey_ was doing there is a way to make it work though and that seems to get close to native, but it's also via the iSCSI tab, so it's confusing at first blush.

Still as I recall the commercial product has it, and honestly IX isn't alone in not providing native FC in the "community" product.

Status
Not open for further replies.