Freenas and Carddav/Caldav feature (owncloud?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm new to freenas, and all seems well right now for me for the built-in features. Although, I would like to setup Carddav & Caldav servers, and optionally a Webdav server. All of this because I use software on a daily basis that need those protocols.

I was looking into ownCloud for this, so I followed this how-to : http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?9985-HOWTO-ownCloud-with-nginx-and-MySQL-in-plugin-jail
That's nice, because everything went smoothly. But I can't find any documentation on ownCloud command line, since there is no front-end for the freenas version. So no command-line doc, no way to understand how to setup my servers...

So has someone already been through this ? Setting up Carddav, Caldav & Webdav with freenas (even without ownCloud) ? Or have you some link for me to follow through ?

Would be greatly appreciated :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
what do you mean ownCloud command line?

It is basically a website. Once it is running, you log into the webGUI and configure it however you like. There is no need to do anything on the command line for that

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
Thank you, that's actually what came to my mind when I woke up this morning ^^

But where do I find the webGUI for ownCloud ? All I find inside the jail is /usr/local/www/ folder with nginx and dummy files... No trace of ownCloud!

EDIT: I forgot to install owncloud ^^ But I have yet to figure out how to go to the ownCloud webgui. As I understand, you must access the nginx server, but I don't know what address to type in the browser: https://192.168.1.51/... ??? Everything I tried return "file not found".

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
you type in the address of the jail that you configured when you installed it...what is 1.51?

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
you type in the address of the jail that you configured when you installed it...what is 1.51?

1.51 is actually the address of the jail. And that's the issue here: the browser returns "file not found" when I type this address. Ssh, Http and https ports are open in my router, so this is not a firewall issue. I asked to someone I know to help me, but he didn't understand what was wrong (although he knows about networks but not nginx or freenas and its jail)... I assume there may be an issue with nginx config which may not redirect to the correct "owncloud" folder, but I followed the thread I linked above so it should be alright... What do you think?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
assuming that the rest of your network is in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet space, and you are trying to access this install from internally, your router has absolutely nothing to do with it

verify that the install and configuration has been done properly

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
assuming that the rest of your network is in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet space, and you are trying to access this install from internally, your router has absolutely nothing to do with it

verify that the install and configuration has been done properly

Thanks pirateghost.

That's the issue here: I followed the steps in the above howto link, and all installs went smoothly. I checked the relevant folders to see if all files were installed. My nginx and php daemons are up and running. I don't know if ownCloud need a daemon though. (daemon=rc.d service). It seems that my jail address is not redirecting into the good www folder, hence the "file not found" message.

Do you know a way to :

1. Check if nginx is used as webserver in my jail
2. Check if the jail ip address is redirecting to nginx web server
3. Check what default folder is used by nginx when accessing the jail through its ip

I think those are the 3 steps I have to follow if I want things running. In that order. But I absolutely don't know how to do that... Any help appreciated !

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
owncloud does not have its own 'service' but it does rely on php/sqlite3(or mysql)

I have set up a few owncloud servers before, but i do not use the jails in FreeNAS. my nas is a nas. thats it. i have other servers that do all the fun stuff, i dont need to add another layer to my storage nodes.

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
I agree that a NAS should be used as a NAS, but I can't afford another server, hence the jail in freenas and owncloud.

But it doesn't really help me here. I assume the process to setup ownCloud with nginx must be the same (or almost) as with other servers, as the jail is basically a freebsd system running in sandbox.

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
I agree that a NAS should be used as a NAS, but I can't afford another server, hence the jail in freenas and owncloud.

But it doesn't really help me here. I assume the process to setup ownCloud with nginx must be the same (or almost) as with other servers, as the jail is basically a freebsd system running in sandbox.

I reply to myself:

I had just one tiny issue with /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf :
This line : root /usr/local/www/ownCloud;
Should have been : root /usr/local/www/owncloud;

It was *so* easy :P

Status
Not open for further replies.