[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - Syncthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
And after those steps you simply started it with service syncthing restart or did you have to copy it or do anything else?
Apart from that, where did you find above steps, maybe I can go read up more on it?

mskenderian

Contributor
I change some config setting in the syncthing GUI, now my syncthing wont start. how can i manually edit the config file? where is the location in of the config file?

diedrichg

Wizard
And after those steps you simply started it with service syncthing restart or did you have to copy it or do anything else?
Apart from that, where did you find above steps, maybe I can go read up more on it?
You know what. I must have been in a sleep-deprived haze. I used Joshua's 0.9.2 pbi. It's completely possible to build your own but then it requires writing a script to autostart it and setting the web gui address, etc. It's annoying.

FYI, Freshports has been updated to v0.9.5

Last edited:

ovizii

Patron
Can you please post a link to the .pbi? NEVERMIND Just realized its attached to the bug report you linked to earlier...

I realized that your above build commands lack the start scripts, I then tinkered with the ones that came with the .pbi trying ot get it to work, went as far as replaced the old syncthing executable from the .pbi with the self compiled syncthing executable one but didn't get things working.

Found the config file by using:

find / -name "syncthing*"

from memory I think it was in /root/.config/syncthing/config.xml or some such palce...

ovizii

Patron
and this pbi doesn't seem to have the auto-update mechanism built in... its still stuck on 0.9.4 while my macbook asked me to upgrade to 0.9.5 amd 0.9.6 already.

mskenderian

Contributor
go to Plugins -> Installed and you will see an update button. but if your current version is less than the version listed in Plugins -> Available, it will downgrade you.

It is best to setup a standard jail and download install Syncthing manually. since PBI dont get updated as fast as the application does. Look at ownCloud its still on version 6.x when the application is already at 7.x.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
go to Plugins -> Installed and you will see an update button. but if your current version is less than the version listed in Plugins -> Available, it will downgrade you.

It is best to setup a standard jail and download install Syncthing manually. since PBI dont get updated as fast as the application does. Look at ownCloud its still on version 6.x when the application is already at 7.x.
Once I get the PBI built ontop of the new FreeBSD port (sometime in the next few weeks) updates should quickly to the FreeNAS plugin. All I gotta do is recomple the PBI and request the FreeNAS maintainers add it to the repo, I'll try to do this weekly.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
maybe a week or two. gotta update btsync first, plus haven't had much time but it's on my list.

older versions of my pbi you could run 'service syncthing upgrade' this will get you the latest.

diedrichg

Wizard
maybe a week or two. gotta update btsync first, plus haven't had much time but it's on my list.

older versions of my pbi you could run 'service syncthing upgrade' this will get you the latest.
From your 0.9.2 pbi listed here https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/5706, 'service syncthing upgrade' gives the error
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/syncthing: unknown directive 'upgrade'.                    
Usage: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/syncthing [fast|force|one|quiet](start|stop|restart|r
cvar|status|poll)

Any thoughts?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I think I removed that functionality from the rc.d script. the binary still has it though so /usr/pbi/syncthing-amd64/bin/syncthing -upgrade should work.

I plan on getting this built using the syncthing port, and updating the port regularly but been working on other projects.

diedrichg

Wizard
That worked perfectly! Thanks!

Silwanyx

Dabbler
Hi

I'm to interessted on update the Syncthing to the newest version 0.10.2, it has an auto-update system, and maybe, after this, the Syncthing should do autoupdate automaticaly, without the pbi, i think, should work.

After this, i think, should not need to do a pbi for every new version of Syncthing. Maybe, just one more time, if the Syncthing would be ported to ind.ie as Pulse, renamed.

Sorry for my bad english, but, i think, you understand what i mean.

Many thanks to Joshua for new pbi in advance. Hope it will be soon on the plugins of FreeNAS to see the new version of Syncthing, because, the 0.8.19 from 9 july is very old now, and many things has been changed from this version.

Thanks

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi

I'm to interessted on update the Syncthing to the newest version 0.10.2, it has an auto-update system, and maybe, after this, the Syncthing should do autoupdate automaticaly, without the pbi, i think, should work.

After this, i think, should not need to do a pbi for every new version of Syncthing. Maybe, just one more time, if the Syncthing would be ported to ind.ie as Pulse, renamed.

Many thanks to Joshua for new pbi in advance. Hope it will be soon on the plugins of FreeNAS to see the new version of Syncthing, because, the 0.8.19 from 9 july is very old now, and many things has been changed from this version.

Thanks
Sorry I haven't been able to do this. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but a lot of other things have taken priority.

As for the auto-update, some of my older versions actually included this, but the FreeBSD port actually chooses to not compile in this option. They want you to use the standard freebsd update mechanism. Since I'm going to base the PBI off that port, I also won't have that feature so updates will need to come from the FreeNAS repo =[
I hope once I get this updates, it will be easy to maintain so I can give it regular updates.

diedrichg

Wizard
Hi

Thanks
This is what I did and it works great! - thanks Josh!!!

1. Create a standard jail
2. Download the 0.9.2 pbi from here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/5706
3. Install the pbi from the icon at the bottom of the new jail's GUI.
4. Run the jail shell
5. Run this command to upgrade to the latest version: /usr/pbi/syncthing-amd64/bin/syncthing -upgrade
6. For future upgrades just run the command in step 5.

Note: Upgrade from the syncthing web interface will not function with this pbi, only the command above will work.

Note: This command will not work with other installations or ports.

Edit: I just re-read your comment/question and I understand what you are saying. Fortunately, the command listed above is trivial to run to get the latest update.

sdspieg

Contributor
I tried installing syncthing under the new beta 9.3. It seems to have worked, but can somebody please post the proper URL to get into the webgui? I of course know have the URL of the jail, but how do I get into the setup? Thanks.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I tried installing syncthing under the new beta 9.3. It seems to have worked, but can somebody please post the proper URL to get into the webgui? I of course know have the URL of the jail, but how do I get into the setup? Thanks.
As always with my plugins, there should be a link to the (default) URL for the plugin in the FreeNAS "Edit" menu.

Also, sorry to everyone for not updating this plugin. I started working on updating it yesterday and should have a working plugin by tomorrow. Updates from that point forward should be smooth.

diedrichg

Wizard
Left navigation pane. Go to Plugins>Syncthing. You will have a popup window with a link to the GUI. In my case it's https://jailIP:8080/

sdspieg

Contributor
Left navigation pane. Go to Plugins>Syncthing. You will have a popup window with a link to the GUI. In my case it's https://jailIP:8080/

Thanks. That worked. And the left navigation pane in the new beta doesn't show the list anymore (see the missing '+')
11.16.2014-01.18.png
- that's why I asked. But I'm in now! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.