[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - Syncthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
I'm not even sure if that's right. I haven't installed from pbi before.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Do you have instructions on how to build the PBI? Version 0.9 introduces a new format for node IDs[1]. The current version of syncthing in FreeNAS doesn't accept the new node IDs from my Mac laptop running 0.9.2.

[1] https://discourse.syncthing.net/t/v0-9-0-new-node-id-format/478
My source code is linked in the first post. It's trivial to update to 9.2 and re-compile the PBI (though it does take several hours when you first compile a PBI).
I'm busy getting married this week and probably wont be able to upload a PBI for 9.2 for like 3 weeks...

jms703

Dabbler
My source code is linked in the first post. It's trivial to update to 9.2 and re-compile the PBI (though it does take several hours when you first compile a PBI).
I'm busy getting married this week and probably wont be able to upload a PBI for 9.2 for like 3 weeks...

1. Congrats. Please enjoy your wedding and stay away from computers!
2. I'm willing to try it out (recompiling a PBI) and will respond to this thread if successful.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
1. Congrats. Please enjoy your wedding and stay away from computers!
2. I'm willing to try it out (recompiling a PBI) and will respond to this thread if successful.
Will do =]
I got 3 more days where I can touch computers, if I get to it I'll compile a 9.2 PBI and make a request to add it to the repo.

djoole

Contributor
Hi,
I've just installed synching PBI 0.8.15, in my plugin jail, and it seems the plugin didn't create the user synced :
Code:
root@ZeJail:/usr/pbi/syncthing-amd64 # service syncthing start
Starting syncthing.
su: unknown login: syncer
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/syncthing: WARNING: failed to start syncthing

Indeed, no synced user in /etc/passwd

I'm running 9.2.1.2-Release-x64

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi,
I've just installed synching PBI 0.8.15, in my plugin jail, and it seems the plugin didn't create the user synced :
Code:
root@ZeJail:/usr/pbi/syncthing-amd64 # service syncthing start
Starting syncthing.
su: unknown login: syncer
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/syncthing: WARNING: failed to start syncthing

Indeed, no synced user in /etc/passwd

I'm running 9.2.1.2-Release-x64
Did you upgrade. The latest PBI's of syncthing use the user "syncthing" UID/GID=819.

djoole

Contributor
I took this one, i don't think there is a new one : http://www.freenas.org/downloads/plugins/9/x64/syncthing-0.8.15-amd64.pbi
And after installing, when i wanted to start it from the plugin management webui of FreeNAS, the service wouldn't start.
After trying in the shell, i had the aforementionned error.

Well anyway, after creating syncer it works :) But i won't be using this program (as remplacement of btync) as i've just found out you can't pause transfers from the webui (i have a very slow connection and need to pause sync when i'm using the bandwidth, and pausing ability needs to be totally WAF)

ovizii

Patron
you can simply shutdown syncthing instead of pausing. takes just a few seconds and the latest version starts up quite speedily.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I took this one, i don't think there is a new one : http://www.freenas.org/downloads/plugins/9/x64/syncthing-0.8.15-amd64.pbi
And after installing, when i wanted to start it from the plugin management webui of FreeNAS, the service wouldn't start.
After trying in the shell, i had the aforementionned error.

Well anyway, after creating syncer it works :) But i won't be using this program (as remplacement of btync) as i've just found out you can't pause transfers from the webui (i have a very slow connection and need to pause sync when i'm using the bandwidth, and pausing ability needs to be totally WAF)
What version of FreeNAS are you on? They changed the plugins URL and you are using the older version of my syncthing plugin.
If you don't want to upgrade FreeNAS, just change the URL to http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/

djoole

Contributor
you can simply shutdown syncthing instead of pausing. takes just a few seconds and the latest version starts up quite speedily.
Yes i know, but it's not WAF... i won't ask my wife to ssh on the NAS then stop the service, or go to plugin management in freeness webui to stop it. To complicated.
I would like a pause button on the webui of syncthing, something even my 3 y.o kid could do ;)

What version of FreeNAS are you on? They changed the plugins URL and you are using the older version of my syncthing plugin.
If you don't want to upgrade FreeNAS, just change the URL to http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/
OOOOOhhhhhh :) I have 9.2.1.2, but it's not the problem, the thing is i always upload PBIs into an existing jail (i want all of them in the same place), so i used to go to that page, i didn't know they had changed!! :)
Thanks!

But you didn't put a pause button in the last version? ;)

mskenderian

Contributor
any word on the latest syncthing version? the current version on freenas wont work with the latest syncthing version.

diedrichg

Wizard
any word on the latest syncthing version? the current version on freenas wont work with the latest syncthing version.
Joshua has a request to update it in the bug tracker. He has a link to a 0.9.2 pbi there.

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard

diedrichg

Wizard
@diedrichg: do you have a link so we can subscribe and stay on top of things please
FWIW, I built syncthing from scratch yesterday from Freshports. It took only about 3 minutes to compile and I can update it whenever I want.

Create a plugin jail and then:
Code:
pkg update
pkg upgrade
portsnap fetch extract
portsnap fetch update
cd /usr/ports/net/syncthing/ && make -DBATCH install clean

Last edited:

ovizii

Patron
hm, followed your steps then tried "service syncthing restart" and I'm still running my old 0.9.0 beta 9

what other step am I missing after your 5 steps above?

diedrichg

Wizard
Hmm. That's beyond my knowledge. Those are the steps to build it from scratch.

ovizii

Patron
And after those steps you simply started it with service syncthing restart or did you have to copy it or do anything else?
Apart from that, where did you find above steps, maybe I can go read up more on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.