FreeNAS 9.3.1 and CrashPlan 4.4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sport

Cadet
I am new to FreeNAS and am experimenting with CrashPlan as the off site backup option for my home setup. I was eventually able to get CP upgraded and running with the help of the information from these forums.
I have read a lot of posts around the 4.4.1 upgrade and people not being able to connect the App to the service afterwards. I found the service port was changed in the upgrade! I went in and updated the "ui_info" and "my.service.xml" on my PC, and then the App was able to connect again.

now that I was able to do some test backups which were successful, the problem now became being able to restore files. The restore fails when setting the target as either the "original" location or the "conf" setting (not sure what that option is for).

• Could this failure have anything to do with setting the Read Only option when setting up the storage for the Jail?
  • I see the point in having the JAIL space read only. Could it be as simple as removing the Read Only flag when you need to do a restore? If this is the case how has the forum members handled this?

Thanks
D.

Sport

Cadet
I am new to FreeNAS and am experimenting with CrashPlan as the off site backup option for my home setup. I was eventually able to get CP upgraded and running with the help of the information from these forums.
I have read a lot of posts around the 4.4.1 upgrade and people not being able to connect the App to the service afterwards. I found the service port was changed in the upgrade! I went in and updated the "ui_info" and "my.service.xml" on my PC, and then the App was able to connect again.

now that I was able to do some test backups which were successful, the problem now became being able to restore files. The restore fails when setting the target as either the "original" location or the "conf" setting (not sure what that option is for).

• Could this failure have anything to do with setting the Read Only option when setting up the storage for the Jail?
  • I see the point in having the JAIL space read only. Could it be as simple as removing the Read Only flag when you need to do a restore? If this is the case how has the forum members handled this?

Thanks
D.

Ok, so it checks out - by removing the read only flag on the Jail's storage and restarting the Jail I was able to successfully do a restore with CP.

So it looks to me that one would have to change this Read Only status every time you need to do a restore; as you want to keep someone from mucking with your data in the event they compromised your Jail environment.

I'll keep the question out there on what others are doing for the restore part of the process, and keeping the storage area secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.