FreeNAS 9.10.2-U1 Booting errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakje

Explorer
The installation of FreeNAS from one USB to another went without any hustle, but after i try to boot freenas from the Sandisk Ultra Fit USB drive. On which i just installed FreeNAS 9.10.2-U1, i encounter all of the following problems:

My build:
CPU: Intel Celeron G3920 Boxed
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC (flashed with latest BIOS: F21)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM KVR21E15D8/8HA
HDD's: WD Red WD30EFRX, 3TB
OS Usb: Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB Zwart

At first it will get stuck at the point where it says: "Loading kernel modules"
Kernel.jpg

Then after i CTRL + C it shows me the following error:
ACPI error.jpg

Then it continues on until it get's stuck again at "Starting mdnsd":
Mdnsd.jpg

After i use CTRL + C again, it will continue on to eventually show the Console Setup.
End.jpg

At the moment i am kind of clueless, about what i can do to fix these issues. I am hoping you guys can help me out, much appreciated!

Yakje

Explorer
Thanks for the reply! Hmm, this rlly sucks. I could not find anything related to ACPI in my BIOS settings, so no clue how to enable ACPI debug. I did find a setting called "XHCI" and enabled it, but the exact same errors occur. Hopefully we can quickly figure out what is causing these problems, so my beautiful NAS build does not have to just stand here collecting dust :(

Yakje

Explorer
That sounds waaaaay out of my league. Do you have any suggestions for me what i could do (is trying 9.3.1 and upgrade to 10 when it get's released an option? ), or is this going to be a waiting game?

Last edited:

Yakje

Explorer
I am curious about what hardware you have in your NAS build and did you try to install/boot FreeNAS from a USB or CD?

Last edited by a moderator:

narcofreccia

Cadet
Hi, i've just upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10.2 and when the update finished i was no longer able to boot. I plugged a screen to the nas to see what was going on and saw that the gui ip address wasn't listed, I then removed the interface and created it again and the ip address appeared again. The jails were running but not working and I fixed that just by stopping and restarting them. Everything works now, my data is there, all the plugins and all that...until i reboot. I have to do everything again...no ip no jails...I mean why is that?
I'm not even sure it is the same issue, anyone got something similar??

Rafael Morel

Dabbler
I am curious about what hardware you have in ur Nas build and did you try to install/boot FreeNas from a USB or CD?

FreeNAS version 9.10.2 u1

motherboard : gigabyte Z270n

processor: G4600 pentium

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Lpx 16gb

harddrives: 2X seagate 4tb ironwolf
2x WD red 4tb

usb drive where FreeNAS is installed : sandisk cruiser fit cz33 16gb

booting from a usb

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafael Morel

Dabbler
Hi, i've just upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10.2 and when the update finished i was no longer able to boot. I plugged a screen to the nas to see what was going on and saw that the gui ip address wasn't listed, I then removed the interface and created it again and the ip address appeared again. The jails were running but not working and I fixed that just by stopping and restarting them. Everything works now, my data is there, all the plugins and all that...until i reboot. I have to do everything again...no ip no jails...I mean why is that?
I'm not even sure it is the same issue, anyone got something similar??

no i can't get past the boot screen in mine and I'm getting the same error as the ones Yakje posted

Yakje

Explorer
@narcofreccia
This does not sound like the same problem me and Rafael Morel are experiencing, although there could be something related.

@Rafael Morel
I am guessing it's something hardware related, where FreeNAS is lacking support. Not sure though.
Since they are currently working hard to get a stable 10 release out, I think it's best to wait for that release. I am hoping FreeNAS 10 (since they are doing a complete overhaul) will have a more user friendly install and bugs like these will be something of the past. @Chris Torek is this something you can confirm?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can try the nightlies, which are on FreeBSD 11 now.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

Rafael Morel

Dabbler
C

Chris Torek

We have ACPI debug turned on in the debug kernel now, but I have no experience with actually using it. Someone with one of the systems that does this needs to turn on the debug options (in loader.conf—see https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/acpi-overview.html#ACPI-submitdebug) to see what's going on. The problem is in the kernel, but is triggered by something in user space and hence ^T works and ^C interrupts whatever is getting stuck, which means there should be shortcuts available, but again, I have no actual experience with debugging ACPI, and no system that hangs this way either, hence no actual process for anyone to try.

Yakje

Explorer
Since the release of FreeNAS 10 (Corral) is finally here!, i immediately tried it on my NAS system.
And guess what.....IT WORKS!!! I am curious to hear what happens if you try this new release @Rafael Morel

Status
Not open for further replies.