Can't upgrade from 9.10.2-U1 to U3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naesstrom

Contributor
I've been trying to upgrade my freenas install but it keeps halting on 20%
0Kpx1ag.png

and at the same time it spits out this error on the screen I have connected to it, after that the plugins keep working but I can't connect to the freenas server at all.
BhHWHn2.jpg
[/IMG]
BhHWHn2.jpg

I've read that it could take a great while but now I've let it run for over 24hrs and it's still stuck, when I reboot it starts upp the old install but the new one is listed in the boot section
0Kpx1ag.png

Here's my system specs:
Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memory 24427MB

And here is a pastebin of my log after I started the update:https://pastebin.com/KqXPxjTG
Looking at that it starts to spam this after 11hrs in on the update if that's any clue?
Code:
Apr 26 18:36:37 Katrinelund kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff8002975e930: Listen queue overflow: 193 already in queue awaiting acceptance (1 occurrences)
Apr 26 18:37:43 Katrinelund kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff8002975e930: Listen queue overflow: 193 already in queue awaiting acceptance (7 occurrences)
Apr 26 18:38:49 Katrinelund kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff8002975e930: Listen queue overflow: 193 already in queue awaiting acceptance (7 occurrences)
Apr 26 18:39:55 Katrinelund kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffff8002975e930: Listen queue overflow: 193 already in queue awaiting acceptance (6 occurrences)

D

dlavigne

It's possible that the USB stick is dying. Try saving your config, installing a fresh U3 to a different stick, and uploading your saved config.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Definitely save your configuration before doing anything, as @dlavigne suggests.

Another user reported a similar problem and it turned out that his/her boot pool was nearly full. Check and make sure you have space on the boot device (System->Boot).

Naesstrom

Contributor
Thanks @Spearfoot & @dlavigne, I always make a backup of the config before doing a upgrade, missed it once and never again :D

Regarding space I'm only using 1.6 of the 16Gb so it should be fine, but might be the stick as noted, I'll head in and buy 2x SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB so freenas can use one as backup.

What do you suggest, installing a clean U3 version on the new one and just upload the config? That means I have to redo my plex config again right, hate doing that!

ixion

Dabbler
FINAL UPDATE: Ok, in the end, the upgrade succeeded! But it was VERY slow compared to other upgrades, and I'm not sure why. So for those of you stuck at 20%, open a terminal and "zfs list" and check to see if there is a U3 boot environment that is growing in size, and if so, just let it sit and complete (it could take a couple hours).

UPDATE: I opened a terminal and did a "zfs list" and I can see the "freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10.2-U3" boot environment and the "used" space is going up, so clearly it is installing something, but it is VERY VERY slow. I have done many updates before, but for some reason this one is painfully slow, unlike the updates in the past. I'm not sure why. But I'll let it run to completion and report back.

ORIGINAL POST:
I'm seeing the exactly same thing. Upgrading from 9.10.2-U2 to U3. I have 3.5GB of free space on the USB stick. I'm using two 8GB USB sticks in a mirror for my boot device. It's just been sitting there for an hour now stuck at 20%. See screenshot.

upload_2017-4-27_12-49-24.png

Last edited:

Naesstrom

Contributor
FINAL UPDATE: Ok, in the end, the upgrade succeeded! But it was VERY slow compared to other upgrades, and I'm not sure why. So for those of you stuck at 20%, open a terminal and "zfs list" and check to see if there is a U3 boot environment that is growing in size, and if so, just let it sit and complete (it could take a couple hours).
View attachment 18073

Yup I'm aware that it can take a long time, but 36rhs seems to be a bit to long even for an upgrade :D Oh and I can't SSH in to my server either so no way of checking!

S

sef

Update speed depends on several factors:
  1. Size of update -- just the amount of data being written.
  2. Number of files in the update. The update code keeps a database of the files, and there are over 70k files in U3, so the database processing can take a while. This has been rectified a bit, but it won't be useful until the next update.
  3. Speed of boot media. Thumb drives are horrible, and slow, and error-prone. The internal implementation of most thumb drives means that a lot of I/O that is done is read-modify-write, with already slow media, resulting in an amplification of the number of writes and thus increasing the speed. Mirroring can also impact this, but not generally hugely.
  4. Amount of free space on the boot pool and the system dataset. The latter doesn't matter a whole lot, but due to logging and where the downloaded files are kept, it can. The update code currently tries to ensure that the boot pool will have at least 20% free, but that doesn't help with the fragmentation that happens with ZFS.
So, to recap: whenever possible use a real SSD instead of a thumb drive; it'll be better in the future; and avoid thumb drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.