FreeNAS 9.1.0-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHawk

Contributor
Yes, it should, just make sure to save your config before upgrading, for safety.

Okay, thank you for the quick reply.
You mean the configuration file of FreeNAS itself right, not my plugins?
And my ZFS data shares will be safe as well I guess, right?

Whattteva

Wizard
Okay, thank you for the quick reply.
You mean the configuration file of FreeNAS itself right, not my plugins?
And my ZFS data shares will be safe as well I guess, right?

That's correct. Make sure to back up your configuration file from the GUI: System ->Settings->General->Save Config

Your jail and ZFS pool are stored on the hard drives and are separate from the OS (at least it should be), so they will stay intact as long as you restore your zpool through the config file after you upgrade (System->Settings->General->Upload Config).

From my experience, the upgrade process went very smoothly except for the jail migration.

You have to log on as root to the NAS and execute /root/migrate_pluginjail.sh -D to migrate 8.3 jail to 9.1 jail.
It didn't go that smoothly for me as it was not able to auto-mount the jail volumes and I had to fix that manually, YMMV. Also, the storage page on the main GUI page is bugged and you have to use the add/edit from the tree on the left.
One thing you may also like to know is my TransmissionBT plugin ceased being a plugin anymore (no longer shows up under plugins page). It's not a big deal cause it still runs normally in the jail, but you just have to start/stop it through the shell now instead of the plugins GUI page.

Good luck!

stoffix

Dabbler
I didn't have any jails (i removed them before upgrade)
and everything _seems_ allright.
Do I have to upload the old config, or is the intruction intended as 'just in case'?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You only have to upload the old config if you install it fresh, not an upgrade.
We save the config before upgrade as a safety measure.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Congratulations and thank you all for this great piece of work!! :)

Been running my secondary nas on 9.1 since beta1 without any issues.
After upgrading from rc2 to release i also upgraded the zpool without issues :)

jlpellet

Patron
On 1 of my 9.1 release upgrades (from 8.x), the reporting tab now shows /dev, /root, /etc, & others from the OS flash drive. See screen shot for example. Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 388

HHawk

Contributor
That's correct. Make sure to back up your configuration file from the GUI: System ->Settings->General->Save Config

Your jail and ZFS pool are stored on the hard drives and are separate from the OS (at least it should be), so they will stay intact as long as you restore your zpool through the config file after you upgrade (System->Settings->General->Upload Config).

From my experience, the upgrade process went very smoothly except for the jail migration.

You have to log on as root to the NAS and execute /root/migrate_pluginjail.sh -D to migrate 8.3 jail to 9.1 jail.
It didn't go that smoothly for me as it was not able to auto-mount the jail volumes and I had to fix that manually, YMMV. Also, the storage page on the main GUI page is bugged and you have to use the add/edit from the tree on the left.
One thing you may also like to know is my TransmissionBT plugin ceased being a plugin anymore (no longer shows up under plugins page). It's not a big deal cause it still runs normally in the jail, but you just have to start/stop it through the shell now instead of the plugins GUI page.

Good luck!

Thanks for the excellent information and help. I will give it a go this week or in the weekend.
Highly appreciated. I don't have or use TransmissionBT. I only use Couchpotato, Sabnzbd and Sickbeard.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Thanks for the excellent information and help. I will give it a go this week or in the weekend.
Highly appreciated. I don't have or use TransmissionBT. I only use Couchpotato, Sabnzbd and Sickbeard.
I might me wrong but last I heard Couchpotato and others are not yet available in 9.1. Unless you install them manually.

power4media

Dabbler
I have a quick question: Can I use "GUI Upgrade" (installed current 9.1.0-RC1)?

Thanks for the reply

xaibex

Patron
Great release! Finally multiple Jails including the possibility to use PC-BSD PBI's. Great!
You have done a really good jobs (although there is still some bug fixing to do)

RvdKraats

Dabbler
Yessss! Thanks for all the hard work guys! Burning the ISO now, I can't wait to get this upgrade running!

snax

Dabbler
Hi,

I updated two systems. One was fine, but the other one has a corrupted Jails tab and clicking it show only the message "Sorry, an error occurred," with the following in the log window:

manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:216] Failed to generate navtree for app freenasUI.jails: 'sipcalc_ipv4_type' object has no attribute 'host_address'

Does anyone know how I might fix this?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Hi,

I updated two systems. One was fine, but the other one has a corrupted Jails tab and clicking it show only the message "Sorry, an error occurred," with the following in the log window:

manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:216] Failed to generate navtree for app freenasUI.jails: 'sipcalc_ipv4_type' object has no attribute 'host_address'

Does anyone know how I might fix this?

Can you create a ticket in support.freenas.org with the details?

Thank you.

power4media

Dabbler
@Jordan Hubbard,
thanks for the reply! :)

@FreeNAS Development Team,
great work! :)

snax

Dabbler
Can you create a ticket in support.freenas.org with the details?

Turns out its related to bug #2007 on support.freenas.org -- FreeNAS's issue of not supporting Jails on VLAN interfaces.

I have a LAGG with two VLANs on it. If I remove the VLANs and assign an IP address directly to the LAGG, everything works and the jails are visible.

Unfortunately, this is not the ideal configuration for me, as I need the VLANs. So, bug #2007 needs fixing.

Thomas Hurst

Cadet
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where would be the best place to point this out, so please let me know if I should be opening a thread or ticket elsewhere.

I'm setting up a new NAS on 9.1, and am loving all of the refinements and new features, but I've noticed that the documentation is rather scarce on one subject: the Volume Layout GUI. After experimentation, it seems that the GUI orients mirrored disks along the x-axis, and striped disks along the y-axis, but I haven't found any confirmation of this in the documentation. Am I understanding the GUI properly?

Whattteva

Wizard
One last bit of information on the upgrade:
The upgrade does NOT upgrade your zpools. You have to follow instructions on this page to do that.

It's completely up to you whether or not to upgrade your zpools since the process is irreversible and will no longer allow you to use any FreeNAS versions prior to 9.1 if you do so choose to upgrade.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where would be the best place to point this out, so please let me know if I should be opening a thread or ticket elsewhere.

I'm setting up a new NAS on 9.1, and am loving all of the refinements and new features, but I've noticed that the documentation is rather scarce on one subject: the Volume Layout GUI. After experimentation, it seems that the GUI orients mirrored disks along the x-axis, and striped disks along the y-axis, but I haven't found any confirmation of this in the documentation. Am I understanding the GUI properly?

What do you mean "x-axis" and "y-axis"? If you have 2 disks in a mirror I might call that "x-axis" since its duplicate data and the "y-axis" is for multiple vdevs. I don't think what you are trying to explain is function of the GUI but is more of how ZFS works. Perhaps you should read my presentation(link in my sig).

Status
Not open for further replies.