FreeNAS 8 won't boot with one particular USB drive plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlecharva

Cadet
Hi,

I've just upgraded my 0.69 version of FreeNAS to 8.

I downloaded the latest version this morning, burned it to CD and installed it to a USB thumbdrive on my FreeNAS box.

Managed to get it installed and booted up fine, but it won't now boot with my two external USB data drives plugged in.

I get:

error 4 lba 2657838243
No /boot/loader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
No /boot/kernel/kernel

It boots fine with Drive A, but not Drive B, yet I did have them both plugged in when I first booted into it and it worked fine.

I've tried booting without it, removing the volume, restarting, then when fully booted, plugging Drive B in adding (not importing) the volume freshly and choosing ZFS. It works fine and I can access it, but upon restart I get the same error again and it won't boot.

Any ideas?

Anthony

littlecharva

Cadet
Bump.

Any ideas here folks?

Is it likely to be due to me having two USB harddrives plugged in as well as FreeNAS running on a USB thumb drive? Some sort of USB conflict?

Could it be possible that the problematic USB drive is bootable and is trying to boot instead of FreeNAS? Is there a way to check this?

I tried adding the drive rather than importing it and choosing ZFS, am I better off formatting/partitioning it separately? Can you point me in the right direction of how to do that? Do I use fdisk?

Anthony

cbray

Explorer
USB Drive won't boot..

Before you reformat...
Just a quick stab, see if you have your boot device order correct in your bios or, if you have no way to select which USB device is set to boot first, then try to make sure your USB Stick containing FreeNAS 8 is on the lowest # USB port. Usually closest to the PS2 KB/PS2 Mouse connectors and nearest to the actual motherboard.
If you can give us more detail info on model # etc. and/or pictures it might help.
Good Luck,
CB

p.s. if you can boot to FN at all, look at the log and it should identify your USB Stick and the port it is on. Or watch the info displayed during boot to try to catch the port.

Tekkie

Patron
I concur with cbray check your BIOS settings... I ran into exactly same problem myself and it was due to boot order in the BIOS.

Valentin2009

Cadet
The same

I strictly have the same problem... I'm trying to change an old PC into a NAS server and have the same error message with my USB stick...

I think it may be an issue with the MB : MSI KT3V... The device boot order is correct in bios settings, it boots on the USB stick but displays this strange error message... I verified, the BIOS is up to date...

I tried the USB stick on other PC and it works flawlessly...

Maybe there's a way to boot from a CD drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.