FreeNAS 8 and Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhead

Cadet
Alright, so I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on 2 machines, and FreeNAS 8 amd64 on one (obviously). I'm pretty sure I've created the volumes, the windows shares, and all that business correctly. I'm having a problem seeing the FreeNAS machine in my Windows' Networks screen. I can see the NAS box on my router, I can ping it from the windows machines, but it won't show up for me to browse and use. I've updated the Win7 registry to use the lower authentication method that Samba services apparently use, but to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions or anything? Thanks for help in advance.

kundalinikid

Cadet
i'm actually having the same problem... my Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit machine can't seem to find the FreeNAS server on the network; however, my Mac machines can find and connect to it (not that that has been problem-free, though...).

Milhouse

Guru
I can see the NAS box on my router, I can ping it from the windows machines, but it won't show up for me to browse and use.

Obvious one, but is CIFS set to ON in Services -> Control Services?

i'm actually having the same problem... my Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit machine can't seem to find the FreeNAS server on the network; however, my Mac machines can find and connect to it (not that that has been problem-free, though...).

Presumably your Mac is connecting with AFP?

freeflow

Dabbler
Make sure that the netbios name on the CIFS setup page is the same as that on your windows 7 PC.

kundalinikid

Cadet
well, i've managed to make some progress, as my Win7 PC can now see the FreeNAS share on the network... but it can't seem to access it. I currently have the authentication model set to "anonymous," thinking that would let the PC connect to the share automatically, but that doesn't seem to be the case. should i set the authentication model to "local user" and create an account on the server that matches the user account on the PC?

Tekkie

Patron
The user account you create on the FreeNAS system doesn't have to match the user on the Win7 PC.

Tekkie

Patron
I've updated the Win7 registry to use the lower authentication method that Samba services apparently use, but to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions or anything? Thanks for help in advance.
Revert that change, Samba 3+ support NTLMv2 which is what win7 defaults to, no need to downgrade this security option.

Isshin

Cadet
Hope its ok that I borrow this thread.
I am having the same issue. What I did:
1. Changed permissions on volume for the root user
2. Set up a Windows Share
3. Enabled CIFS

What am I missing? Can't find the freenas on the windows network page.

nicko

Dabbler
What version of Freenas have you installed (release or one of the 8.01 beta's)? Have you formatted the share as UFS or ZFS ? When you set up the share did you enable the tickbox that says 'browsable to network clients' - without it you won't see the drive on the explorer network section, you will need to map the share in explorer. If mapping it doesn't work then run a cmd prompt and type in 'net use \\servername\sharename' (mine is \\freenas\photos - the servername is in the global network settings in the gui) and see if that finds it. If it does then type in 'net use * /d' to disconnect from it, run the freenas gui and in the cifs settings add "max protocol = LANMAN2" to the auxillary commands box. Then try finding the share again. (This bit won't make any difference on a ZFS share, only on a UFS share).

Isshin

Cadet
I installed the release version.
The share was formated as ZFS.
The tickbox was checked.

Isshin

Cadet
I going to try that. But suddenly the server doesn't get an IP. Even after re-install of freenas. Trying to resolve it. I try to configure network interface directly but no ip. Router doesn't recognize it either.

Isshin

Cadet
I tried mapping it directly and it worked! It still doesnt show up automatically when I refresh the network page. But I can find it accessing it directly with //freenas/freenas . I have also mapped the network drive, so I guess I'm all good. Thanks!

bladestrike

Cadet
Hmmm, I'm run on an AMD350 w FreeNAS8 & W7 -64 Ultimate. I didn't have to change anything on my PC. The only tricky thing I ran into was trying to figure out how permissions worked. I could see my Windows share, but couldn't paste anything to it.

In the end I set permissions to nobody allow only guest access. Now my W7 PC and Vista HTPC can access the NAS box.

I have 8 WD Green 2TB drives, a mix of 20EADS and 20EARS running in Z1 with one hot spare. Using the on-board SATA & ESATA plus a Vantex ($20 cheap) 2 port SATA x1 PCIE card (Sil3132 chip). No problems so far, except I think one of the drives is dodgy (spare is being mapped in as we speak).

jimmypooh

Dabbler
Has anyone figured out how to get it to show up on their network? I can map to mine but I'm using a device WDTV Live that I think picks up the network share the same wa it would show in the Network Places. Therefore since it's not showing in the network places, I can't see it on the WDTV Live. Any help would be appreciated.

Using FreeNas 8 release, Vista, WDLXTV Live, ZFS, and SAMBA (CIFS).

Thanks!

jimmypooh

Dabbler
I forgot to update this tread. I finally figured it out. The default name freenas does not work. You must change it and the netbios name to something else for it to work. I have started a ticket on this subject.

ward0

Dabbler
Final update about this topic?

I have netbios name : WORKGROUP on my freenas 8.03 beta and win7 prof 32bit .. but i can't see my freenas on my win7

Status
Not open for further replies.