SOLVED FreeNAS 11 update failed... searching for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhalenarmy

Cadet
Morning folks,

I attempted to auto-update my FreeNAS box this morning and everything went fine until after reboot...

Please help, I know little to nothing in regards to troubleshooting FreeNAS and/or FreeBSD. I've had this server running for a few months now as a platform for Plex.

Please help!

iTRbkR

Attachments

• image111.jpg
    image111.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,167
Last edited:

vanhalenarmy

Cadet
=) How is that performed?

Sorry I essentially know zero about freenas... I installed it, followed some tutorials on how to get plex up and running and let it be. This is the first time I've tried to perform an update.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Start by reading the user guide link at the top of the page.

D

dlavigne

That error typically means the boot device died. You might have to install to a new USB device and restore your (previously saved) config.

vanhalenarmy

Cadet
Jailer: Thank you for the point in the right direction.

Brand new to this forum, didn't realize there was such an extensive guide available. I was able to revert back to the previous 11-U4 environment and all is good now. I have since created a saved clone of this environment just in case. Afterwards I again attempted to auto-update to 11.1 release and the same exact thing occurred after reboot (failed with error 2). I'm just going to stay on U4 since it works fine and is very stable.

If I were to make a direct duplicate boot flash drive as a backup (using another PC of course) would freenas boot up normally on the backup without making any settings changes?

Last edited:

gpsguy

See the docs on how to save (backup) the configuration. Install FreeNAS 11.1 on a quality flash drive, skip the initial wizard and restore your old configuration file.

vanhalenarmy

Cadet
See the docs on how to save (backup) the configuration. Install FreeNAS 11.1 on a quality flash drive, skip the initial wizard and restore your old configuration file.

I have my boot running on a Samsung 64GB BAR. From my understanding this is one of the best flash drives available.

I'll look at the guide about how to make a backup. Thank You.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

gpsguy

I have my boot running on a Samsung 64GB BAR.

I'm glad to hear that you are back in business. I mentioned quality, since I didn't know what you had and many of our users use a cheap piece of junk.

If you have space and a free SATA port, consider using a small SSD instead of a flash drive.

You might want to search the forum for example scripts that use a cron job to copy the configuration file on a scheduled basis.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You might want to search the forum for example scripts that use a cron job to copy the configuration file on a scheduled basis.
...and keep in mind that the config file is automatically backed up, by default, in the .system dataset. One good argument for having that dataset somewhere other than on the boot device.

gpsguy

...and keep in mind that the config file is automatically backed up, by default, in the .system dataset.

I know ... but they are small enough that an extra copy isn't a bad thing to have.

danb35

Hall of Famer
an extra copy isn't a bad thing to have.
Agreed. It's just that everyone seems to forget about the backups that are already there. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

vanhalenarmy

Cadet
When I made the original post I was not home (remotely started the auto-update)... only person home was my daughter so I was limited on what I could do from work... But the replies came in before I left work so as soon as I got home I had Plex back up within minutes.

Over time I will get more knowledgeable about FreeNAS. I made an .ISO image of the boot flash drive and made two other duplicate drives. This way even if I'm not home and something goes wrong with the flash that even my 14-year-old daughter can simply pull the flash out and plug the new one in.

I've looked into making an SSD boot for it but everywhere I've read it's not recommended over a flash drive. If it's a fully supported option then I may switch to an SSD when I open it up to replace the CPU to an i7 2600k (currently on an i3 3220).

I have a cron job that I copied from a forum someplace else that performs an automated reboot each month but that's it. Eventually I will create more. I receive daily status emails but I'd like to get one that gives more info, such as average CPU usage for the day or info regarding Plex outbound traffic.

One step at a time.

This is my setup...

Attachments

• 24312693_861118264052182_4276059997409580118_n.jpg
    24312693_861118264052182_4276059997409580118_n.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 968

gpsguy

I've looked into making an SSD boot for it but everywhere I've read it's not recommended over a flash drive.

SSD's have always been supported, but we didn't recommend them in versions prior to 9.3. Back then the boot device used a fixed size image (~3GB). One couldn't use the rest of the storage on the boot device for anything else. And the cost of a SSD was much higher than it is today.

With 9.3 and later, FreeNAS can use the whole disk.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have a cron job that I copied from a forum someplace else that performs an automated reboot each month
There shouldn't be any reason for that--this isn't Windows.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'll add that 11.1 should add a GUI option to load one of the backups from the .system dataset.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'll add that 11.1 should add a GUI option to load one of the backups from the .system dataset.
Agreed--the backups are much less helpful if nobody knows where they are or how to get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.