FreeNAS wants to update to 12 beta - but I dont want it to -how can I tell FreeNAS to stay on 11.3

wongdongfu

Cadet
Howdy,

I have a FreeNAS box that is running version FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2 and I went to check for updates in hopes that it will fix my memory issues that seem to be happening.

First the specs of the box
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
32 gigs of memory
6x 8tb drives in raidz2. Available space on the zfs pool is 20.11TiB (28% used)
FreeNAS is installed on a 256gig Samsung NVME drive that is on the motherboard.

services running are
ssh
smb
smart

no other services.

The only thing this box needs to do is run Plex and store data. All was great for a week or so, then I noticed that Plex was not available when I got up in the morning. So I chalked it up to stuff happens .. rebooted and then the same thing happens the next day.

I hook up a monitor to the box and I see swap_pager_getswapspace: failed all over the console. - When I did the 11.3 FreeNAS install I told the installer to make the default 16 gig swap file.

Plex is not running DLNA - or anything weird. I would like hardware acceleration if possible, but I need to fix the eating all the memory issue on this box before I play with that function.

I would think with 32 gigs of memory my FreeNAS would allow Plex and only 3 services running to not touch the swap file. - I have a leak somewhere to track down.. But I have a update issue to fix first.

So I went to check for FreeNAS updates and this is what I see. - I do not want to go to Beta. - I have no issues logging into SSH and removing the downloaded upgrade files. Does anyone know where the downloaded updates are stored? I want to stay on 11.3 and just get 11.3 updates until 12 core final is out in production. Or how to just force the train to stay on 11.3 and forget about 12 ? I am guessing there is a place where update files are stored and somehow 12 beta got downloaded there and now my updater keeps seeing them ?

anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

1594483510954.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
When I did the 11.3 FreeNAS install I told the installer to make the default 16 gig swap file.
There is no "default 16 gig swap file", and no swap file (of any size) is created at installation time--swap partitions (not files) are rather created when you create a pool. But you are on the latest 11.3 release, so whatever's going on, there's no update to fix it.

But your system update issue is strange, and it's not one I'm able to duplicate on either of my own 11.3-U3.2 systems. It won't install any update until you tell it to (so you don't need to worry about it automatically installing anything), but it still shouldn't be showing 12.0-BETA on the 11.3-RELEASE train. Was your system set to use a different train at any time? Even then I'm not seeing this behavior (if I change to the 12.0-BETA train, I can download the updates, but if I then change back to the 11.3-RELEASE train, they don't show in the GUI any more), but it would at least help explain it.

Might want to file a bug using the Support link in the web GUI, and attach a debug file--that should help the devs get to the bottom of this.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This happens occasionally in 11.3. Courtesy of @Patrick M. Hausen, reset 11.3 to the correct train via midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE.

wongdongfu

Cadet
This happens occasionally in 11.3. Courtesy of @Patrick M. Hausen, reset 11.3 to the correct train via midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE.

Thank you Samuel ! This command fixed the issue .. after running midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE and rebooting I am in the correct train for updates! .. no to figure out my memory issue!

Thank you all again, great community you all have here!.

Jesse