FreeNAS 11 page faults and drops to db> prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettw.10

Dabbler
Hi all,

Yesterday I noticed that I had a critical alert on one of the drives in my ZFS pool on my HP N40L FreeNAS 11 installation. I think it was on ad0, which should be the first drive in the ZFS pool. The error was that a sector couldn't be read, I think. I didn't have time to do anything about it, and last night, while watching a movie off the box via Plex, the Plex server became unreachable, and so did the whole box. I rebooted it, but it didn't come back.

This morning I connected a monitor to it and booted it - it crapped out during boot and landed me at the db> prompt.

I tried popping out all of the drives in the ZFS pool, but it still wouldn't boot. I think I saw something about not being able to load the jails, which I didn't even think were stored on that pool. I was sure that they were on a standalone drive that I mounted into the CDROM bay.

Anyway, I am hoping that you guys can give me some tips on how to proceed. I was hoping that I would be able to remove all of the drives and get the system to boot, at a minimum, and then try and work out what was going on. I am really hoping that I will be able to identify and replace the drive, rebuilding the data set and not losing any files.

Rgds,
Brett.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Full hardware details?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Had this run well before? If so, it sounds like a borked boot device.

brettw.10

Dabbler
Yeah, it has been running beautifully for the past 4 years or so. I have just DLed the FreeNAS 11 RELEASE ISO to try a new install. I am hoping that I will be able to recover the pools, if it is just a toasted boot device.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am hoping that I will be able to recover the pools
Of course, unless you were running encryption and didn't backup your keys. In which case, you might still be able to recover them from the old boot device.

brettw.10

Dabbler
I don't think I was running encryption. As it is, I want to try and get the configuration file of the old boot device, if possible.

brettw.10

Dabbler
So, the situation is this. I tried to install FreeNAS 11 RELEASE onto another USB stick using my HP N40L. During the installation it crapped out with a segfault. I have a feeling that it might be either 1) an issue with the USB controller on the motherboard, or 2) a RAM issue.

Luckily my father-in-law has an N40L as well, as I built a system for him at the same time I built mine. I have taken the boot media and the 4 drives and inserted them into that, and they have come up ok. /dev/ada0 is still showing a critical error (Device: /dev/ada0, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors), so I am running a smart test on that to clear that up. Once that is clear, I will drop in the RAM from my system to eliminate that as the issue.

Thanks for all your help so far. I'll keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.