SOLVED Clean up /var/db/system/cores? Boot volume full

Status
Not open for further replies.

muvvenby

Cadet
Fresh to the forum, been using FreeNAS for a year now, experimented with it during the 9 series. I got on the wrong train last year, installed Corral 10.0.3 on a HP Microserver, didn't find the time to reinstall when it was abandoned and since it was doing it's job serving files perfectly, I left it humming along in the corner.

Today I ran into the problem that the boot volume (32GB USB3 thumb drive) had filled up completely, generated
Code:
[Errno 28] No space on device
messages.

Turns out the main culprit is /var/db/system/cores which contains about 25GB of files named smbd.12345.core, where 12345 stands for various four and five digit numbers.

I found some threads on the forum and googled some information, but I didn't find any simple steps to remedy the situation.

I would really appreciate some step-by-step advice on how to get my FreeNAS back in good health and I'll promise to install 11 before summer :) Thanks in advance for your help!

zpool list and df -h for good measure:
Code:
[root@$name$] /var/db/system/cores# zpool list
NAME		   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG	CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
freenas-boot  29.2G  27.1G  2.16G		 -	  -	92%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
volume1	   3.62T  2.77T   874G		 -	38%	76%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

[root@$name$] /var/db/system/cores# df -h
Filesystem						 Size	Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
freenas-boot/ROOT/Corral-10.0.3	2.4G	1.1G	1.2G	47%	/
devfs							  1.0K	1.0K	  0B   100%	/dev
tmpfs							   32M	8.0M	 24M	25%	/etc
tmpfs							  4.0M	8.0K	4.0M	 0%	/mnt
tmpfs							  5.3G	 59M	5.2G	 1%	/var
freenas-boot/grub				  1.3G	4.9M	1.2G	 0%	/boot/grub
fdescfs							1.0K	1.0K	  0B   100%	/dev/fd
volume1							758G	 88K	758G	 0%	/mnt/volume1
volume1/$folder$				   3.5T	2.8T	758G	79%	/mnt/volume1/$folder$
freenas-boot/.system-e8cf2b89	   26G	 25G	1.2G	95%	/var/db/system

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
I would really appreciate some step-by-step advice on how to get my Freenas back in good health and I'll promise to install 11 before summer
You're unlikely to get assistance. Not enough knowledge was established for Corral and all documentation related in the wiki was removed by iX.

Your best bet is to reinstall FreeNAS 11.1 from scratch and import the pool.

muvvenby

Cadet
Your best bet is to reinstall FreeNAS 11.1 from scratch and import the pool.

Thanks for the quick reply! Well, installing 11.1 was the plan When I Got Some Time (tm) :)

Just checking: I'm not using any Corral specific functionality, just a pool with an SMB share on it. I should be good simply installing 11.1 and importing the pool, right?

m0nkey_

MVP
Yes, if you're not using anything specific to Corral you shouldn't have a problem importing your pool.

muvvenby

Cadet
So I installed Freenas 11.1 on my boot drive and on first boot it imported the volume automatically. I added a group, a user and created my SMB share. That was it, everything's running fine again. Digging out the server and hooking it up to a screen and keyboard was the biggest hassle :)

I don't see any forum functionality to mark this thread as solved, so I'll just change the title to solved then. Ah, that functionality _was_ where you change the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.