SOLVED FreeNAS 11 - installation stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikozo6

Patron
Hello
I started to install FreeNAS-11.0-U4
and installed the Serial Enabled option because of the IPMI
the process end with - and there it hangs...

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0.uzip [rw]...

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
What program did you use to write the USB stick? Or are you mounting the image with IPMI?

vikozo6

Patron
@wblock thanks for your feedback, i have done with the ISO file and Etcher the USB stick, i also have done a couple of sticks but no one work

wblock

Documentation Engineer
When writing the image from Windows, I would use Win32diskimager. Other stuff makes assumptions that are usually wrong.

If you are mounting the image and connecting through IPMI, then do not choose Serial Enabled. Unless you have a serial terminal connected to the serial port.

vikozo6

Patron
i have also done it with rufus same problem, the serial i did chose because i have not monitore conected do my NAS - so i would use IPMI and JAVA IKVM Viewer. this did work to install Coral ;-)

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Rufus does not work either, unless you choose dd mode.

If you use IPMI, you are not using serial. If you tell it that there is a serial console, it might wait for that console to respond.

vikozo6

Patron

vikozo6

Patron
@wblock but still i belive the Documentation has a mistake o_O

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I'm looking into it. Did you try it the way I suggested?

vikozo6

Patron
yes and used Rufus to create it worked fine - but i also added a monitor the install it - so far it works now for me - i just have to understand the system but this will be other question.
and thanks you check it about the documentation. but also the installation is about FreeNAS 11.1-RC3 and not FreeNAS-11.0-U4 but the Installed Guide is only readable if you finished installing it.
have a nice day
vinc

wblock

Documentation Engineer

davydden

Dabbler
I find the tip in the latest installation http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html#performing-the-installation about serial confusing: "The Serial Enabled option is useful on systems which do not have a keyboard or monitor, but are accessed through a serial port, Serial over LAN, or IPMI." To me, this tip suggests choosing "FreeNAS Installer (Serial Enabled)" if IPMI is being used. Perhaps the documentation should be altered to explicitly suggest choosing "FreeNAS Installer" in case of IPMI, if that's the recommended way of doing it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Depends on the IPMI option. You can do Serial over LAN or graphical console on most implementations.

glauco

Guru
I also ran into the same issue.
I was trying to install FreeNAS 11.1-U5 on my Supermicro X11SSM-F motherboard, which has IPMI, so I figured I should choose "Serial Enabled" but at some point during the installation I got this "Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0.uzip [rw]..." error, as @vikozo6 reported.
FAQYSDz.png

It took me a while to figure out that by going with the default installer, the installation would go through.

The official documentation still recommends going with the Serial Enabled Installer.
SmCpIV6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.