Freenas 11.2 web gui & network setup, DNS issue?

noodlesuk

Dabbler
Hi

I have a really strange problem and after some pointers on how to fix it or even how to start to diagnose it! I have two FreeNAS servers setup on my home network as follows:-

Freenas 11.2 , internal ip 192.168.1.2, running webgui on port 80
Freenas 11.1, internal ip 192.168.1.20, running webgui on port 88

Both boxes have the same nameserver (192.168.1.254) and my router is setup to forward the relevant ports so I can access the webgui outside of my network. Which is probably a bit of a security no no, but one for another day!

I've found that I can always access the Freenas 11.1 server, from any location i.e via mobile networks or my work internet. I've found that the Freenas 11.2 server can only be accessed via my mobile network. I thought it was a work firewall issue, but I have found that installing the same plugin (Nextcloud) on both servers, yields different results. Nextcloud is always visible from any network when running on 11.1, but not 11.2.

On Freenas 11.1 I can ping, traceroute www.google.com no problems.

On Freenas 11.2 I cannot ping, traceroute www.google.com, I get "host is down", I can ping ip's i.e 8.8.8.8

results for netstat -rn, /etc/resolv.conf and nslookup as below.

Code:
root@freenas:~ # netstat -rn

Internet:                                                                       
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Netif Expire                   
default            192.168.1.254      UGS        bge0                           
127.0.0.1          link#2             UH          lo0                           
128.0.0.0/1        link#1             U          bge0                           
192.168.0.0/24     link#3             U       bridge0                           
192.168.0.1        link#3             UHS         lo0                           
192.168.1.0/24     link#1             U          bge0                           
192.168.1.2        link#1             UHS         lo0                           
192.168.1.7        link#1             UHS         lo0                           
192.168.1.40       link#1             UHS         lo0                           

Internet6:                                                                     
Destination                       Gateway                       Flags     Netif
Expire                                                                         
::/96                             ::1                           UGRS        lo0
::1                               link#2                        UH          lo0
::ffff:0.0.0.0/96                 ::1                           UGRS        lo0
fe80::/10                         ::1                           UGRS        lo0
fe80::%lo0/64                     link#2                        U           lo0
fe80::1%lo0                       link#2                        UHS         lo0
ff02::/16                         ::1 

# Generated by resolvconf                                                       
search local                                                                   
nameserver 192.168.1.254                                                       
nameserver 8.8.8.8

root@freenas:~ # nslookup google.com                                           
Server:         192.168.1.254                                                   
Address:        192.168.1.254#53                                               

Non-authoritative answer:                                                       
Name:   google.com                                                             
Address: 216.58.204.14                                                         
Name:   google.com                                                             
Address: 2a00:1450:4009:812::200e

noodlesuk

Dabbler
It seems that Nextxcloud was causing the issue. Maybe trying to run two webservers on the same interface? Might have been how I configured the jail network (same adapter as main Freenas install), but changing from a static to DHCP for the jail works.

noodlesuk

Dabbler
Just an upate, hoping someone can help shed some light on this strange issue. I've found there still to be a problem with my FreeNAS 11.2 server seeing the outside world, I can see www.google.com, the IP is reported correctly, but cannot ping it "Host is down".

I can fix the issue for a few hours by changing the IP of the FreeNAS 11.2 server, either to a new static IP or by just re-entering the current IP. It appears this reset allows the server to see the outside world, pinging works fine and the server is fully accessible externally. Only for the problem to return 12 or 24 hours later. Hoping for some help from a network guru to diagnose! Thanks.

Last edited:

noodlesuk

Dabbler
Solved, seems my primary network connection had 2 IP's assigned (one for Plex Jail). Changing the Plex jail to DHCP, solved (similar to Nextcloud above).

Hopefully might help someone else out if they have the same issue, will stop replying to own thread now ;o)