Can't Ping w/o DHCP, Network ARP or Route Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setius

Dabbler
Steve

To help easy your pain with losing mgt access to the freenas server, how about you leave nic1 setup for your vlan 1 mgt ip in access mode. Then create a lag interface with only nic2 assigned to it and try and get vlan tagging working from this point. If you are able to get vlans working on the single nic lag, then you can delete the mgt ip from nic1 and add it to the lag interface setup.

Just a thought

Note, I was referring to the pdf docs, the wiki is a little different, but in the wiki, I would move that sentence down to right below table 5.3 and maybe change it like this..

After creating the lagg interface, set the IP address manually or with DHCP and save. The connection to the web interface may be lost at this point, and if so, the system must be rebooted from the console setup menu. You may also have to change your switch settings to communicate through the new lagg interface. After reboot, if the IP address was set manually, you may also have to manually enter a default gateway from the console setup menu option in order to get access into the GUI through the new lagg interface.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you mean table 5.3a or 5.3b?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
All fixed up. Please verify you are happy with the changes. They should propagate to the manual. :P

Yes, thanks hopefully that will save others some setup time. Although keep in mind that works on 8.3.1, I had other issues on 9.1 and I'm back on 8.3.1, but I think that the lagg setup was basically the same. Is there a separate wiki for 8.3.1?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
eh, I'm back on 8.3.1 because of other issues.. :/

On 9.1 I only tried it once, and then when I created a zfs volume the system rebooted by itself and I couldn't get into the GUI at all even though I was able to ping the server so I quickly gave up on 9.1 and went back to 8.3.1.

Sorry to get off track on this thread. There is another thread here that I started regarding the lagg issue http://forums.freenas.org/threads/lagg-setup-like-the-chicken-and-the-egg.14353/#post-69397 and there are now 2 solutions to that problem posted over there.

The problem that this thread is really about is not being able to connect to FreeNAS on a Cisco switch with the port configured as a trunk. Other machines on the network running Linux and Windows don't have this problem, they connect to a Cisco switchport in access or trunk mode, and others on the Cisco site said it should work as well. Something is still strange about the FreeNAS network config.

However, for my application I'm not too worried about it at this point as access mode is really a better design in my case anyway. But it should work and when it didn't it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.